Missing Skull Crusher Nut

otter42

I recently won a 1918 knuckle knife in an auction. The nut was present but taped on due to the nut threads being stripped out prior to the auction. I won the bid, but when I got the knife the nut was gone. How hard will this be to replace? The auctioneer said to search eBay. What would the value of an original nut be?

Thanks for any advice, Ken

Ken- I don't recall ever seeing one for sale. You might be able to purchase a cheap repro w/ the same style nut, or have a machinist make one for you. Good Luck! SKIP

I'm leaning more towards the fabrication of a custom piece. Fortunately there is sufficient documentation for doing a good duplication. IMHO, it's along the lines of coming across someone with the talent as well as an enthusiasm for such a project. Maybe someone like SteveS will chime in.

Horseclover

If you have the nut, the threads can be somewhat restored. Building up with silver solder or brass braze. A little delicate but not impossible. Then re-threading. One could also just glue it together, or use liquid metal epoxy. Even just a drop of lead solder or plumbers thread tape.

Cheers

GC

Occasionally I see a ratty 1918 for sale, maybe broken / pitted blade, etc.

To keep the one you got original - depending on condition - I'd wait and find a donor piece.

I dont have time to make them, but if you or anyone else wants it, I can do the CAD for it so if you take them to get made you wouldnt have to pay for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish the auctioneer could find the original, he lost it after the auction. He's still looking, but i don't think it will show up. Thanks for the suggestion, Ken