WOW! M1 Carbine Bayonets

SKIPH

aznation- Thanks for posting the pictures. Your's are in the same condition as mine- NICE!!!!! SKIP

You're welcome SKIPH. Yes, can't get too much nicer :)

BILL THE PATCH

Just ordered mine from Midway usa, I'm going to order one from classic firearms to just compare. Midway was 34.99, total with s&h 39.99.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Just received this one ... a bit rougher than I thought a Grade 1 would be but still a nice blade. Are there any markings on these that identify it as Italian. All I see is what I assume is a serial number. Thanks

post-3625-0-14752000-1524857673_thumb.jpeg

In reading the rest of this thread it seems the ones from Classic FA are dated and stamped with the manufacturer, while mine from Midway is not. Whats up with that?

SDC- Not sure about the dating. Since it's not maker marked we won't know if it was AET, or FAT manufactured. Still looks great, appears just scabbard wear. THX for showing. SKIP

As Emily Litella would say ... never mind! I put a little oil on the blade and can now see AET, crossed cannons, 1955. Thanks

I like my Italian M4. Well made and feels good in the hand. I have just one petty complaint. I display my M3/M4 collection on kitchen type magnetic strips. All the regular M8 type scabbards, be they American or foreign”, sit comfortably on the strip with the magnets gripping the metal throat of the scabbard. Alas, the Italian throat scabbard of mine appears to be made of a low ferric alloy and dose not grip firmly to the strip. Minor earth tremors (I live in New Zealand) would make the bayonet fall off the strip and the bayonet fall to the ground. Blu-Tac solved the problem.

Hello

I received a pair of these and one blade is excellent and one is good

The sheaths however are not that great one kind of rusty and one the blade will not go all the way in it apprears they are two different sheaths based on the loops being different

I will contact the seller which was Classic Firearms

photos attached

post-12145-0-75504800-1525142993_thumb.jpg

Sundance, As requested, a photograph of my M4/3 collection. Nothing to write home about and small by American standards.(Sorry about the size of the photo. I had a problem making it smaller for posting).

post-154298-0-37660400-1525226174.gif

Thanks for the photo. I wouldn't call that a small collection. Do you have most of the makers? They're beautiful knives.

Thank you Sundance. Bit of a hodgepodge collection. I pick up what I can if it comes along but as luck would have it, no duplicates. Importing knives/bayonets is a time-consuming business and postage can be a real killer, so I just keep an eye out for local stuff. Despite the large numbers of U.S. troops that passed through New Zealand, M3s are not common here. Got my first M3 55 years ago and I’ve managed about one a decade since. I am also an M1 Carbine fan so M4s were a natural progression. I like the Italian and German/Dutch M4s but the good old, original, leather handles U.S. ones take some beating.

Barryeye, Any restrictions on your right in New Zealand to own an M1 Carbine? I'm a fan of them also. My Dad spent time in Australia during WW2 with the 32nd Division but I'm not sure whether he was ever in New Zealand.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a heads up from a friend who just got a NOS M4 from Midway. It was a Conetta marked bayonet. I just went to Midway to see and they have a variety of Conetta and Bren-Dan marked M4's with PWH marked M8A1's in a variety of conditions. Midways states that they came from Italy like the earlier ones in this thread.

I guess this removes some of the previous mystery behind who and where these bayonets were made for.

• 3 weeks later...