DI identification help

carrabassett

carrabassett

Note the Taro Leaf and Volcano, denoting Hawaiian/25th ID Lineage

Very interesting, thanks for pointing that out! Jim

It's needed to be pointed out that this DI, was an unauthorized one, probably Occupation period Japanese made??? Typical of late WWII post V-E V-J Day of so many units that had no duly authorized unit crest of their own, locally unit approved.

This one was adopted by the Battalion, one source Stanton Order of Battle Vietnam, gives a 5 May 1955 date.

post-34986-0-13379700-1523754544.jpg

carrabassett

Thanks patches, that helps and makes sense since I did get the impression that it might be foreign made (look of screw post on back). Interesting for sure.

Thanks again,

Jim

Thanks patches, that helps and makes sense since I did get the impression that it might be foreign made (look of screw post on back). Interesting for sure.

Thanks again,

Jim

My pleasure.

While I'm not a DI collector per say, I would say that these, the European and or Asian Occupation period DIs locally approved, are rare to come across, and in their own right are desirable simply because the were made and worn for such a brief period, the duly authorized one's, they of course have a continuous manufacturing period, whether the one's first adopted in the late 1920 or one's first adopted in the 1950s.