U.S. PROPERTY Shotshell crate

Keith

Found this the other day. Would like to have any information the viewers may have. Curious as to the Aeroquip hose that is nailed to the ends as a bumper or cushion? Thanks.

us_shotshell_box_1.jpg

us_shotshell_box_2.jpg

#8 Chilled shot is a common load I recall for target and light use.Chilled lead shot is fairly soft

Lots of shottguns were used to trainer air crew gunners/gunnery practice.More cost effective in traing those to learn.

Very interesting pick up Keith. I collect WW2 shotshell boxes and wooden crates. I am not familiar with the contract number or lot number of the ammo. Also, what looks like rubberized tubing attached to the bottom of the crate is new to me. I'll wait to see what Charlie Flick has to say.

Thanks, Al.

I am sure it was something that was added post. More than like likely someone felt it was easier to move with that type of buffer.

everforward

#8 Chilled shot is a common load I recall for target and light use.Chilled lead shot is fairly soft

Lots of shottguns were used to trainer air crew gunners/gunnery practice.More cost effective in traing those to learn.

Yup, used to practice leading and trailing fire in AAA Batterys.....

Very interesting pick up Keith. I collect WW2 shotshell boxes and wooden crates. I am not familiar with the contract number or lot number of the ammo. Also, what looks like rubberized tubing attached to the bottom of the crate is new to me. I'll wait to see what Charlie Flick has to say.

Thanks, Al.

Al, here is a photo of the other side which has more numbering on it. Perhaps you will recognize something there. Yes, my now deceased neighbor was a B-24 Ball Turrent Aerial Gunner flying out of Bari, Italy. Shot down on his 6th mission....anyway he told me about riding in the back of a truck shooting shotguns at clay targets as part of their gunnery training. Regarding the tubing; it is heavy like a braided fuel line. I was wondering if that had something to do with the way the ammo was carried on the back of these trucks. Perhaps in a stand or rack and the tubing kept it in place during the drive???? Thanks for the replies everyone; keep them coming! keith

us_shotshell_box_3.jpg

Sorry, I don't recognize those numbers either. Here is a picture of two of mine. Markings are similar to what everforward posted. Makes a lot of sense about the added rubber tubing used to keep the crate from sliding around in the back of a truck.

Al

post-12790-0-55648400-1523619393_thumb.jpg

everforward

Al, here is a photo of the other side which has more numbering on it. Perhaps you will recognize something there. Yes, my now deceased neighbor was a B-24 Ball Turrent Aerial Gunner flying out of Bari, Italy. Shot down on his 6th mission....anyway he told me about riding in the back of a truck shooting shotguns at clay targets as part of their gunnery training. Regarding the tubing; it is heavy like a braided fuel line. I was wondering if that had something to do with the way the ammo was carried on the back of these trucks. Perhaps in a stand or rack and the tubing kept it in place during the drive???? Thanks for the replies everyone; keep them coming! keith

us_shotshell_box_3.jpg

Keith, Im gonna go out on a limb and say your crate is from the 30s.....maybe earlier but Im thinking pre-WW2. Just a hunch.

Keith, Im gonna go out on a limb and say your crate is from the 30s.....maybe earlier but Im thinking pre-WW2. Just a hunch.

Valid thought. It is different than the green painted ones of WW2 and is more like the commercial shotshell crates you see around. Thanks.

In trying to research the crate markings I found this:

Class T3A (12 Gauge 2.75" Shell) Note = Shells were also bought in commercial 500-shell wooden packing boxes that only had the manufacturer's markings on them.

Quartermaster

Here's two views of my shotgun shell crate - only marked on one side and one end. Has the top and all six wingnuts. Repacked 3/44

The T3ABD translates to -

675 Shells, Shotgun, 12 Gauge, No. 00, Buckshot, in 25-shell cartons. 27 cartons per M1917 wooden chest. Gross Weight 98 lbs. Volume 1.5 Cubic Feet

shotgun-shell-crate-1.jpg

shotgun-shell-crate-2.jpg

Robinb, I see you have a crate similar to mine. Yours is interesting with the side panel from another box used to construct your crate. Also noticed the weight on yours is 2 pounds less than mine. Mine is CHILLED shot, yours is not; I wonder if CHILLED shot is heavier/denser which would account for the weight difference in the two boxes? Do you have any knowledge about your crate? Thanks

Federal Cartridge Co along with many others used whatever materials they had to construct boxes for their military contracts. They just turned one of their civilian crates inside out.

If I owned your box I would be pulling out the nails and removing that material. Someone just added it so it wouldn't scratch Mom's shelf.

Robinb, I see you have a crate similar to mine. Yours is interesting with the side panel from another box used to construct your crate. Also noticed the weight on yours is 2 pounds less than mine. Mine is CHILLED shot, yours is not; I wonder if CHILLED shot is heavier/denser which would account for the weight difference in the two boxes? Do you have any knowledge about your crate? Thanks

Chilled shot is slightly lighter because it has had antimony added to make it slightly harder. There is very little weight difference.

Im not home but I have several shotgun shell SNLs as well as a amm SB (lot #s) that may shed some light on the box. I also have a draft AIC manual that I believe is dated 42 so since it lacks an AIC I suspect it is before 42. Most 8 chilled shot was used for trap and skeet per the SNLs. I should be home in the next couple weeks. If I find anything interesting Ill add to the post. Also, I guess just because its US property doesnt mean it has to be military.

Im not home but I have several shotgun shell SNLs as well as a amm SB (lot #s) that may shed some light on the box. I also have a draft AIC manual that I believe is dated 42 so since it lacks an AIC I suspect it is before 42. Most 8 chilled shot was used for trap and skeet per the SNLs. I should be home in the next couple weeks. If I find anything interesting Ill add to the post. Also, I guess just because its US property doesnt mean it has to be military.

Thank you. I look forward to reading more of your posts. keith

Hello, here is my box with a few little accessories, also notice the wiring loom on the headlight's.... same as on your box....

Nice layout there. All looking good! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Sir, did you get a chance to review your items? Thanks.