2d Marine Division variation

TetVet1/1/26

TetVet1/1/26

I'm new here. I believe this to be an original WW 2 period made patch. (I am a jack of all trades and a master of none!) I am asking for educated opinions about the origin of this patch and any other opinions you guys might have about it. I don't know where this was made. Doesn't look like the typical US patch that were and still are made on the Schiffli/Swiss looms. Doesn't mean it wasn't made here. The yellow border is not normal on USMC patches. post-179220-0-14922800-1523563362_thumb.jpgpost-179220-0-22353400-1523563435_thumb.jpg Doesn't look like the few Aussie made patches I've seen. Don't know if the 2d MarDiv ever was sent to Australia. I do know the 2d MarDiv spent a lot of time in New Zealand. Could this be a Kiwi made patch? Patch is thin, soft and very flexible. Back threads are a light gray. Taking a c lose look at the sides there are what looks like green thread end peeking between the yellow border threads. Threads burn and patch does not glow under black light. (only a couple of tests I know. Aneline dyes etc.) Most of my good USMC shoulder patches I picked up as a boy in the '50's in San Francisco from all the Army/Navy stores that were still in business on Market St. in the downtown. Also from surplus stores that my dad would take me to when he went looking for stuff! (not counting the couple of suitcases full of patches I got from Frank Fitzgerald at the end of shows back in the '70's.) Anyway.......... ! An identical patch is being offered on eBay for a bucket load of bucks! Not a 55 gal. drum load but a bucket load! The person listing says Aussie made. Thank you for your help.

post-179220-0-20584900-1523563457_thumb.jpg

Proud Kraut

As Bob said, German made. These so called "salt & pepper" or "basket wave" style patches were made in Weißenburg, Bavaria during occupation era. Here's a 1st Marine Div variant for comparison.

1md.jpg

TetVet1/1/26

Thank you very much! Well, Germany is not a place I would not have guessed! Go figure! (See...jack of all trades and master of none!) How, in your opinion, should it be listed in an accurate and honest listing on eBay! Is it a reproduction, fake or an honest post war German made patch? Division was still active. The Marines stopped wearing shoulder patches post WW2 in the late '40's. I forget the year. In certain specific circumstances a US Army soldier who served as a Marine (no such thing as an ex-Marine or so they say.) could wear the patch as a combat patch. (I served w/ an Army LTC who wore a 1st MAW patch as a combat patch. He was a sergeant with 1st MAW in Northern China around '46 & '47 as one example.)

The answers to your question should be very interesting to see and can not wait to see how it is answered. You asked a question that is actually very difficult to answer because there is no clear cut single answer that has been bothering collectors for years. I will start with one possible answer ,that it is a post war German made version of the patch period that is desirable period! Collectors can find a reason to validate anything they collect!

vintageproductions

German patch makers and Japanese patch makers, during the Occupation period made every patch design they could find just so they could show the customers (GI's) what they were capable of doing.

Just look up my old thread on the Hashimoto patch shop in Japan. They even made Civil War insignia on their displays. Hashimoto used the 1944 issue of National Geographic's and made every piece of cloth insignia shown.

I'm sure German shops did the same.