USS Helena found.

DoubleEnvelopment

Another great historic find. The Helena had a quite a war record. I became interest in her after learning of a local guy who was lost on her.

Mark

Quite few subs still on eternal patrol but I'm sure they would almost impossible to find because of there size and the fact that it is not known where or what happen to many of them.

Quite few subs still on eternal patrol but I'm sure they would almost impossible to find because of there size and the fact that it is not known where or what happen to many of them.

Researchers find U-Boats all the time. I would think a US submarine would be of sufficient size to register as a large metallic object in an area search.

Now granted, a lot depends on the ocean depth, as well as the topography of where the ship went down. Many of the U-Boats that have been located have

been in coastal waters, as opposed to the wide open and deep Pacific. But who knows? After all, they did find the torpedo tubes belonging to JFK's PT-109, and those are relatively small compared to a full sized ship.

As a billionaire Micr0soft co-founder, pretty much whatever you need.

Like, say... The R/V Petrel:

Agreed, he - and his team - are doing great stuff, and well beyond maritime archaeology.

I dont know what resources Allen has but they are working great!

post-94991-0-72743000-1523583731_thumb.jpg

RustyCanteen

I would be curious as to the condition of the ship, but so far they don't have many photos released.

It says the wreck was discovered late last month. Good timing, since the current (April) issue of NAVAL HISTORY magazine (published by the U.S. Naval Institute) features an article about the survivors and their subsequent rescue.

This is great news. As the namesake of my hometown, I am great full to this team for keeping this history alive. We have a memorial for our USS Helena ships in anchor park that includes parts off of USS Helena CA-75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome news, Imagine being in the ROVCC and watching the old ladies come out of the darkness and into view of the cameras... awesome absolutely awesome

Ray