Typical WW2 USAAF pilot's headset

MattS

I've been reading threads as I am looking to purchase a headset to display over a crusher cap. It seems to me the typical WW2 setup is a HB-7 band with ANB-H-1 receivers and a PL-354 red plug. I've found several on eBay for $25-75 depending on condition, but there was one that ended last night at $127.50 for some reason. Not sure what made it more valuable (https://www.ebay.com/itm/323187778048?ul_noapp=true). Also, is there a nomenclature for this setup other than "pilot headset"? Thanks!

From the mentioned eBay auction:

post-32676-0-76549000-1523458436.png

phantomfixer

IIRC the entire set up is the HS-33.

In this configuration...the larger brown foam cushions are more desireable...but often found in unserviceable condition...

should be a metal band clamped on the wire harness stamped HS-33..

Good to know, thanks. Looks like NOS HB-7 headbands are easy to find, I may build one with the ANB-H-1 receivers I have.

I believe the Headband is an HB-7 and when coupled with the ear pieces are the HS-33.

IIRC the entire set up is the HS-33.

In this configuration...the larger brown foam cushions are more desireable...but often found in unserviceable condition...

Thanks for that! I am not looking for the earlier foam pads, just a 'correct' WW2 headset for a crusher cap. This started when I talked (a few years ago now) to a C-47 pilot who dropped paratroopers in Holland. He said he unplugged and walked to the rear after the guys had jumped to look back at the DZ. He was watching the action when a bullet came through the aircraft and cut the cord on his headset clean off. He decided it was time to stop sightseeing and get home after that.

They appear to be ok but hard to say as it doesn't show anything to gauge the size. I have seen the larger type on late war head sets but they were marked NAF 48490-1

I picked this one up cheap because it came with an extra pair of receivers, The leather is dried out, but the rest isn't too bad and they have the correct MX-41/AR ear cushions and red PL-354 plug. The crusher is a Bancroft Flighter ID'd to a pilot from Cincinnati.

post-32676-0-24513900-1523664757.jpg

​There was a red brown sponge rubber ear cup which as well as the brown sponge rubber ear cup. The reddish brown cups I believe are pre-early war and brown ones early-mid war. The brown ones are tough to find and the reddish ones are rare.

I found this site that explains the differences. The HS-23 was the early headset using R-14 receivers with the black PL-54 plug and larger ear cushions, while the later HS-33 used the ANB-H-1 receivers with the red PL-354 plug and black MX-41/AR ear cushions.

http://aafradio.org/flightdeck/Peripherals-headsets.html

Also found this explanation for the MX-41/AR designation, "MX-41/AR is a Joint Electronics Type Designation System (JETDS) MIL-STD-196F designator; Unit indicator MX for Miscellaneous (equipment not otherwise classified in the JETDS), 41 for the forty-first unit designated as miscellaneous in the JETDS and /AR for Aircraft Radio."

http://www.schaffrath.net/Audiometric.html

phantomfixer

There was a guy in the UK cranking them out, along with Type C rubber cups...and other flight helmet parts, not sure if he is still in business..

Here's my latest creation, HS-33 with ANB-H-1 receivers set in M-301 chamois lined earcups on a New Old Stock HB-7 with red PL-354 bail-out plug. The Bancroft Flighter is IDd to a B-17 navigator, 851st BS, 490th BG.

post-32676-0-83818400-1524184053.jpg