Oldest modern Purple Heart Medal and Silver Star certificates.

gijoeonthego

gijoeonthego

What is the oldest modern design PH cert (after Columbia Accolade) after 1932 and the same goes to Silver Star cert after 1932. Not Citation Star awards.

BigJohn#3RD

Actually, the Army issued Silver Star certificates in the 1920’s; it looked alot like the AEF Certificate Citations and had Silver Star instead of Citation Star. I had one with a 104th Infantry Regiment, 26th Divison Grouping that came from another forum member and I sold to Scott Kraska of Bay State Militaria, who I beleive was the original caretaker.

gijoeonthego

The modern PH and SSM certs I am referring to are the ones we see today. I know there has been minor changes over the years. Those is the type I am asking about.

Interesting considering in that the Silver Star didn't exist until 1932.

The Citation Star was approved by Congress on 9 July 1918. Orders authorizing Silver Stars were retroactive after the Secretary of War approved it on 16 July 1932. WWI Vets could make a request for a retroactive Silver Star based on their award of the Citation, AEF Gallantry Citation Certificate, or Meritorious Service Citation Certificate.

In December 1942, the Silver Star criteria were amended to include civilians serving with the armed forces.

FWIW,

JAG

gijoeonthego

I appreciate all the input. I'll try to restate what I am asking. The modern PH and SSM what we see today. Yes, it has gone thru minor changes. Example- the oldest modern PH cert was for WWI vet issued in 1947. The certs. I am referring to is with the Heart with ribbon wave on top and the Star with the ribbon wave on top.

gijoeonthego

I am referring of date of issue, not date of action. I have my Grandfather's SSM Cert for his action in 1918 but it was issued in 2017.

Those citations are a modern thing. The base documents for WWI medals were orders and locally produced citations. Here's my grandfather's 1918 citation for which he wore a small silver citation star on his Victory Medal ribbon and later applied for and received a Silver Star. (Incidentally, I just got this from my aunt - his daughter - two days ago. She's 94.)

post-9621-0-26512100-1523399345_thumb.jpg

gijoeonthego

I understand what you are saying. I am referring to the certs that were issued during wwii to present. That style hasn't changed much for both PH and SSM. My question again I ask, what is the oldest issue date of these style of certs NOT DATE OF ACTION. my Grandfather's cert was ISSUED 9-11-2017 for the date of action was WWI 10-9-1918. 99 years ago for his Silver Star. Also received the medal with the cert. This was a first time award not a replacement. I was the nok.

I’ll try to translate. “In what year was the modern / current certificate design for decorations introduced?”

I believe this is the type of document being referred to:

post-9621-0-22731600-1523448508_thumb.jpg

to my knowledge the PH Certificates you describe was developed during WWII, most likely in 1944 and were sent to next of kin of KIAs. They were not generally available to WIAs. The Silver Star Certificate, along with the Legion of Merit came along later, post-war/

Bobgee

gijoeonthego

Members Dave, 12A54, and bobgee is what I am asking. The Silver Star had a similar one. I thought it would be interesting what forum members have in their collections about date of issue, not action and what the earlier certs looked like and see the minor changes over the years.

Not sure if this is what is being discussed, but this certificate for Cpl. Fred Hubbell 96th Company 2nd Bn 6th Marines was awarded to him I believe in 1928 is the date of issue. He was awarded the Silver Star for actions on Oct. 3, 1918 at Blanc Mont Ridge.

post-2182-0-79619800-1523499698_thumb.jpg

post-2182-0-41806600-1523499829_thumb.jpg

gijoeonthego

Very good. I was thinking of the Silver Star Medal. This looks like a citation Silver Star attachment because the medal wasn't available until 1932. Yes, silver citation stars could have been upgraded to Silver Star Medal. I am asking only for Silver Star Medal and PH certs. Forum members please correct any wrong.

to my knowledge the PH Certificates you describe was developed during WWII, most likely in 1944 and were sent to next of kin of KIAs. They were not generally available to WIAs. The Silver Star Certificate, along with the Legion of Merit came along later, post-war/

Bobgee

P.S. I have a Purple Heart certificate awarded to an 8th Air Force crewman KIA July 1943 that was issued in August 1943. BG

So I posted an AEF/2ID version that led to a SSM dated July 1918. devildog34 posted a federal version dated 1928. Bobgee and Dave mention PH certificates issued in 1943.

Are the 1943 versions the same format (with a ribboned image of the medal pendant at the top) as issued in modern versions? I thnk that’s what the OP is asking.