Sendai Paratrooper wings

Forum members, In my travels I came across what are supposed to be Sendai (sp?) Japan paratrooper wings....As I am not overally familiar with these, I am wondering if they were dated on the back?....These are marked 1946 and are supposed to be sterling, although are not marked as such.....Did they date their wings?....It is a pinback...Any thoughts appreciated....Bodes

triplecanopy

Sendai marked parachute wings are an interesting Post WWII Occupation era insignia that were made in the Sendai region of Japan. The examples I have seen if dated at all have 1946 on them. I have not seen any other dates, but perhaps there are some. Sterling is also sometimes indicated on the wings, but most are not sterling, but instead plated brass. It has been suggested that the maker(s) thought that was part of the required markings. The reverse arc hallmark is also reminiscent of the early GEMSCO hallmark. Here is a photo of the front and back of SENDAI Jump wings. Note the detailed feathering much like the type found on Assmann (German) post war parachute badges.

post-48217-0-18174000-1523301393.jpg

post-48217-0-63549900-1523301410.jpg

triplecanopy

Here are examples of dated and not dated SENDAI wings as well as a hollow back type. The "C" Catch is almost always seen on wings from this era. I might note here that Glider qualification wings are also found with SENDAI markings.

post-48217-0-39637700-1523302201_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

Here is another example of SENDAI marked jump wings. This one has a solid back, dated 1946 and NO Sterling mark. Note the "C" catch. This set has a different front appearance that is closer to the standard US parachute badge.

post-48217-0-38412800-1523303171_thumb.jpg

post-48217-0-02517900-1523303185_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies...I think the one I saw may be an original...I am concerned however that the Sendai and Japan are low on the reverse and partially missing.....Could this indicate reproduction?....If good, I'm assuming $30 is a good price?...Thanks for any additional imput....Bodes

triplecanopy

If you could post a photo, we could tell you more about your badge, but for $30.00, you might be doing well. They usually bring a lot more than that. Good luck.

It's on hold at a local antique shop (about 40 miles).....Part of my concern is the dealer dabbles in a lot of reproductions....Mostly those are Third Reich pieces however....He does sell quite a few US pilot wings and their variations, most of which I'd say are good....

Going by memory, I believe these wings are die struck and not cast....The finish is strong with little or no wear or patina....The catch is "C" shaped and the pin has a frosted finish, not the bare copper/brass like the ones you show...This and the partially missing wording on the back side...Bodes

Patchcollector

Nice Wings and thanks triplecanopy for the mini study.Someday I hope to add an example to my collection.

I thought I had a couple variations from what is shown, but just one. Different catch, and the wings and parachute are slimmer than the others. post-82-0-42648000-1523415862_thumb.jpgpost-82-0-85831600-1523415977_thumb.jpg

Went back yesterday and bought the wings....They were priced at $28, and the sole dealer at the antique store automatically knocked off 10%.....I've bought so much from them, that I wasn't going to complain...With sales tax, came to just under $27...

Pretty sure they're good...The 'E' in SENDAI and the crossbar on the top of the 'J' in JAPAN are weak but noticable with a loop....

One question..Is the pin held in place by dimples pressed into the plates soldered on the back?...The loop in the pin pinched by the inside dents of the dimples?.....In other words, no pin?...Hope this makes sense....Bodes

Camopara, Nice wings....Don't think I've seen JAPAN on a Sendai made wings w/o crossbar...Interesting variation...

triplecanopy

Congrats. From what you describe, I believe you got an original. Yes, you are correct. The hinge on the pin is held in place by two dimples that allow the pin with a loop to rotate. The last wing posted above shows that feature pretty well. When you get a chance, post a photo of your SENDAI wings so we can see them. All the best!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks triplecanopy and doyler for your replies....Always good to hear I did well, when it can often be tough finding good quality military items, Bodes

• 2 years later...

Found these on eBay.

Any opinions as to authenticity and if $100 would be a good deal?

Thank you all in advance.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

BILL THE PATCH

They are real, they used to go for about 125.00. 100.00 seems fair even though the market sucks right now. But it's definitely a good investment. Abn items don't really loose value. The pin attachments look a little funny. Mine is different not sure if that's a voncern. Maybe somebody will chime in

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk