Vietnam camo...Duck Hunter

doyler

In 1964 I was at Bragg and went to Fatalburg and bought a set of Duck Hunter Camo at Sears & Roebuck on Hayes Street. I have a picture of me wearing them if I can find it. I am sure they had two upper chest pockets and burst-of-glory buttons. Caught Hell from the chicken shinola Bn.XO and told to get-rid of them. I gave them to a friend headed for MI school at Devens, no doubt latter The Nam.

USAF BG Heini Aderholt, "Air Commando 1" gave me photos 30+ years ago. Subject was 1st Air Commando pilots, circa 1964 I believe, standing in front of their A1 Skyraiders wearing Duck Hunter camo, two bottom pockets, pen pocket of left chest, "burst of glory" buttons. They also wore Duck Hunter Camo snap up cowboy hats with, of all things, Thai Joint General Staff pins on the front. Not to mention S&W .357 magnum revolvers in the gunfighter rigs. The Air Commandos were a world unto themselves. I was TDY with them in 1965.

Thanks to all y'all going to the trouble of sending us those GREAT pictures. BILL

Posted Image

Here’s a nice KAmo brand shirt with the typical buttons found on a box from my garage

The cloth is very soft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Image

Never seen one before on another jacket

I picked this up several years ago from the rose bowl flea market from a rag dealer and it was under $20 but to me it was worth a thousand as I love stuff like this !

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I guess I'm pretty late to this party; just stumbled onto this topic re. duck hunter camo.  I was a Recon Marine in Nam early 67 - mid 68.  We didn't have a lot of camo utilities when I first got there.  There were some left over tiger stripes, but the cotton material degraded rather quickly and most of them had fallen apart by this time.  ERDL had not officially made its way into our supply chain until later in the year and those of us who had them, bought them from the local Vietnamese tailor on our combat base.  A couple of my recon buddies did have parts of the duck hunter came.  The attached picture is our recon team atop Hill 452 (I blotted out their faces and played with the exposure a bit to better show the trousers).  One of my buddies, the one holding the Stoner, is wearing tiger trousers and the Marine far right is wearing the duck hunter trousers...FYI; that's the back of my head over the shoulder of the guy in duck hunters.        

Hill 452 3 Jun 67.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hello Eveyone, 

I got this salty set last year, the shirt is nice but faded, the pants are full of repairs. I believe they are period worn. 

B07F6FDA-2CE6-434D-91A0-2A702F568C6D.jpeg

B0F726E8-1203-4305-B0E3-E0D253C2C91A.jpeg

8CA2273E-202E-4D14-BA73-B88F01B25141.jpeg

1D425DA2-7480-48A1-AF36-0030810FD774.jpeg

D1517D32-2790-4E03-AC2F-DD82ADAEBD4C.jpeg

52EFCC4B-ACCE-4D41-ADFC-8ACF38A29B33.jpeg

AC984503-FED0-433D-9735-A13FA92E08F1.jpeg

174B9755-33E7-403D-8613-5D089D6EC54A.jpeg

USMC_COLLECTOR

Does the Marine in the duck hunter pants have a pair of cut down jungle boots? They look ankle length...

On 1/21/2023 at 5:08 PM, USMCRECON said:

I guess I'm pretty late to this party; just stumbled onto this topic re. duck hunter camo.  I was a Recon Marine in Nam early 67 - mid 68.  We didn't have a lot of camo utilities when I first got there.  There were some left over tiger stripes, but the cotton material degraded rather quickly and most of them had fallen apart by this time.  ERDL had not officially made its way into our supply chain until later in the year and those of us who had them, bought them from the local Vietnamese tailor on our combat base.  A couple of my recon buddies did have parts of the duck hunter came.  The attached picture is our recon team atop Hill 452 (I blotted out their faces and played with the exposure a bit to better show the trousers).  One of my buddies, the one holding the Stoner, is wearing tiger trousers and the Marine far right is wearing the duck hunter trousers...FYI; that's the back of my head over the shoulder of the guy in duck hunters.        

Hill 452 3 Jun 67.jpg