Vietnam camo...Duck Hunter

doyler

Often we see posts here on forum for commercial camo uniforms asking if they are real/not real.

There were commercial camo made during the period worn at times and called Duck Hunter camo.

Roy Boehm mentions in his book where they purchased camo uniforms from SEARS &Roebuck when tasked with out fitting the newely formed Navy SEAL.

This photo shows the use of a commercial camo uniform in Viet Nam worn by a Navy Seal Team Member

post-342-0-51770100-1523162571.jpg

Cool pic Ron - I love the electrical tape 'safety' he put on his red smoke grenade. Can't have that puppy go off when you're still wearing it...

Cool pic Ron - I love the electrical tape 'safety' he put on his red smoke grenade. Can't have that puppy go off when you're still wearing it...

THanks

I'm sure it would be a unpleasant deal if it got lit while wearing it.. ;)

Ok...so I’ve seen a few of these type items. Odd stuff like laundry bags or duffle type bags.

How can you tell what is Mil use and what’s Civ use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok...so I’ve seen a few of these type items. Odd stuff like laundry bags or duffle type bags.

I'm not an expert collector but I'd look for things like laundry marks or names that can be traced to a specific sailor, soldier or marine.

Unfortunately, every one of those things can be faked so the real answer is that unless you get something like a period photograph where the camo pattern matches exactly, there's no way to be 100% sure, that's just the way it is.

IMO that's a reason to be wary of such items and to not over pay for them simply because someone tells you a great "story" behind them. The story may be completely true, it may be partially true but embellished, or it may be 100% false, but the uniform won't really tell you which of those it is.

Some of the brands that can be found are the KAMO made brand.

Even WESTERN AUTO

here is a topic on them.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/86369-western-auto-duck-hunter-camo/?hl=%2Bwestern+%2Bauto

I'm not an expert collector but I'd look for things like laundry marks or names that can be traced to a specific sailor, soldier or marine.

Unfortunately, every one of those things can be faked so the real answer is that unless you get something like a period photograph where the camo pattern matches exactly, there's no way to be 100% sure, that's just the way it is.

IMO that's a reason to be wary of such items and to not over pay for them simply because someone tells you a great "story" behind them. The story may be completely true, it may be partially true but embellished, or it may be 100% false, but the uniform won't really tell you which of those it is.

I agree.

Very hard to document these type uniforms.

Many are typically unmarked as far as rank,serial number,patches,name tapes etc.

I do have a a friend who was SF and he wears a commercial pattern suit.Some time will have to ask if I can copy the picture.I don't recall but he may be wearing them State side at Ft.Bragg for training.He started out in SF around 1960-61.Time is fleeting as he is in his upper 80s now.

I have a couple different pattern shits and both have the WW2 type 13 Star"burst of glory" buttons.This doesn't mean they are issue but these commercial companies used left over surplus buttons in many cases.Even have a suit with the buttons and at times you can see them in photos from Vietnam wearing the camos with star buttons.

As stated many times you have to know the source who had or wore them.

Most of the time just buy it for what it is and that's a commercial hunting suit.

My purpose here was just to post the suits being worn.Not that they were issued or a government contracted item

Early SEAL TEAM 1 photo

Most likely wearing the KAMO brand made suits as they had a style with lower pocket on the shirts

Some have upper pockets

post-342-0-57046900-1523216194_thumb.jpg

Great photos- these were the camo's used in the Bay of Pigs Operation, if I have it right.

Great photos- these were the camo's used in the Bay of Pigs Operation, if I have it right.

I believe so.

I recall there was a batch of WW2 USMC or Army camo used by the Cuban exiles too.

I use to have some photos but long gone on a dead computer.

• 1 year later...

Interesting photos that I don't recall seeing before. Lots of great old stuff on the forum that bubbles up every so often.

Mikie

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-33099600-1584491621_thumb.jpg]

Special Forces adviser teaches a Montagnard of the Radai tribe marksmanship at a training camp near Ban me Thout early July 1962. Photo by Horst Faas.

I had to crop the image due to forum file size restrictions

attachicon.gifCrop.jpg]

Special Forces adviser teaches a Montagnard of the Radai tribe marksmanship at a training camp near Ban me Thout early July 1962. Photo by Horst Faas.

I had to crop the image due to forum file size restrictions

This is a well known photo and note the metal "burst of glory" bottons with stars used on the WW2 hbt clothing.I have a very similar shirt like this.

This is a well known photo and note the metal "burst of glory" bottons with stars used on the WW2 hbt clothing.I have a very similar shirt like this.

Looks like mine as well...Waist pockets w/metal "BOG" buttons...Bodes

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Here’s an advisor set that’s heavily modified

Sleeves shortened and arm pocket added

Lower pockets removed and chest pockets added.

Re tailored for a custom fit

Arvn jump wings added