Id'ed Model 1922 USMC Visor Cap Help, Marine Corps

nchistory

The bottom half of the cap frame with the metal piece is typical of post Ww2 frames, as is the chinstrap. The use of prong type chinstrap buttons extended at least thru Ww2, I have several sets in my parts box. The green underside of the bill also appears later than the 20's as well. The cloth cover is not constructed like the earlier pieces normally are; sewn grommet holes are much more common on the earlier khaki covers rather than the metal grommet on your piece. The wire grommet in the top of the cloth cover looks ok, but hard to tell from the photos. The name stamp type is a later one. The EGA is a righteous early piece with proper nut. I stand by my assessment, at best it could be hybrid of a 40's cloth cover with a later frame bottom. It has all been together for a long time, but it's not a 20's piece. I base my observations on hundreds of USMC and USN caps and uniforms that have been in my hands going back to 1967 or so. I don't know of whom you're referring to as having written "the book", but when you ask for help and opinions be prepared to receive them. I'm finished blurting now.

The bottom half of the cap frame with the metal piece is typical of post Ww2 frames, as is the chinstrap. The use of prong type chinstrap buttons extended at least thru Ww2, I have several sets in my parts box. The green underside of the bill also appears later than the 20's as well. The cloth cover is not constructed like the earlier pieces normally are; sewn grommet holes are much more common on the earlier khaki covers rather than the metal grommet on your piece. The wire grommet in the top of the cloth cover looks ok, but hard to tell from the photos. The name stamp type is a later one. The EGA is a righteous early piece with proper nut. I stand by my assessment, at best it could be hybrid of a 40's cloth cover with a later frame bottom. It has all been together for a long time, but it's not a 20's piece. I base my observations on hundreds of USMC and USN caps and uniforms that have been in my hands going back to 1967 or so. I don't know of whom you're referring to as having written "the book", but when you ask for help and opinions be prepared to receive them. I'm finished blurting now.

I appreciate your blurting back to me, and indeed you may be spot on. My 1st 22, may not be a 22. Thank you and my apologies.

I have a few early USMC hats in my collection. I can state from study and observation, that on the early ones, the leather chin strap is notably thinner than the one depicted on yours. I think it was sometime in the 1930's that this strap became more broad. I have a 1927 contract dated dress cap with the thin chin strap on it still. I also have a USMC wool green service cover from the transition in patterns made in 1922 that is quite early. The shape of the saucer pattern top is a transition between the bell crowns just prior and the broader top of the hats as they progressed into the late 1920's. I am not seeing that on yours, so I just don't think this hat probably dates to the early twenties. Just my two cents. Best of luck nailing it down though. Kevin

I have a few early USMC hats in my collection. I can state from study and observation, that on the early ones, the leather chin strap is notably thinner than the one depicted on yours. I think it was sometime in the 1930's that this strap became more broad. I have a 1927 contract dated dress cap with the thin chin strap on it still. I also have a USMC wool green service cover from the transition in patterns made in 1922 that is quite early. The shape of the saucer pattern top is a transition between the bell crowns just prior and the broader top of the hats as they progressed into the late 1920's. I am not seeing that on yours, so I just don't think this hat probably dates to the early twenties. Just my two cents. Best of luck nailing it down though. Kevin

Thanks Kevin for your honest review. I no doubt made a poor decision with this, based solely on ID and other item offered. Also a quick email to a friend that may not have had time to review all the pictures. The sad part is I tore the cover taking apart, so therefore can't return. So I guess for my troubles at least I have a WW1 USMC visor emblem, although bent up, and a lesson not to purchase something so unfamiliar. Just another day, Semper Fi...

I think we have all had those days along the way in this hobby. Best of luck and good hunting. I know you have done well before and will again- that buckle in your avitar certainly proves that. Best, Kevin

I think we have all had those days along the way in this hobby. Best of luck and good hunting. I know you have done well before and will again- that buckle in your avitar certainly proves that. Best, Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate it very much. Yes we have all has good and bad days, fortunately the good outweigh the bad. Happy hunting as well. S/F Chris