MK2 Grenade Markings?

hirsca

I found this grenade at an estate sale. I had what I thought was a complete list of all the makers of the MK2 bodies, but I can't find the maker of this one. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Al

post-12790-0-27533500-1523134523_thumb.jpg

post-12790-0-93226800-1523134537_thumb.jpg

Don't know the maker,but congrats on a great looking MK2.

Thanks Rifleman. BTW, it is inert, no igniter, no explosive filler and the mousetrap has been snapped.

Still looking for an ID on what foundry made the body.

Thanks again, Al

I can't find any info on those marks either, but it is a nice one.

Thanks vonmoen, the search continues.....

Al

some MAKER INFO
AF = American Fireworks Co.

G = if the G is "square in shape" this is the Grabler Co.also known as the Square Gee Co. an iron pipe fitting company

L or L in a diamond = Littlestown Foundry...they made over 3 million grenade bodies & also made mines and mortar shells etc....you will also see many of these "Diamond L" bodies made into cigarette lighters in the early post war yrs by the Kravitt novelty company

AR or ARco = American radiator Co.

C = The Crane Co.

RFX = Richmond Foundry Co.

​I will add I believe there are several unknown makers marks as well.

some MAKER INFO

AF = American Fireworks Co.

G = if the G is "square in shape" this is the Grabler Co.also known as the Square Gee Co. an iron pipe fitting company

L or L in a diamond = Littlestown Foundry...they made over 3 million grenade bodies & also made mines and mortar shells etc....you will also see many of these "Diamond L" bodies made into cigarette lighters in the early post war yrs by the Kravitt novelty company

AR or ARco = American radiator Co.

C = The Crane Co.

RFX = Richmond Foundry Co.

​I will add I believe there are several unknown makers marks as well.

Thanks doyler. I have 58 manufacturers on my list, but now I have 59---I did not have G. Thanks again, Al

I think a updated list or a pinned list/topic would be helpful

Often the sites that deal in ordnance don't list makers or markings.

I hear of a plant here called Chamberlin or Chamberlain?They supposedly made ordnance during the war.Later it was an Oliver tractor plant and now I think the Winnebago Corp owns the building area.May have to reach out to my local source there.

I think a updated list or a pinned list/topic would be helpful

Often the sites that deal in ordnance don't list makers or markings.

I hear of a plant here called Chamberlin or Chamberlain?They supposedly made ordnance during the war.Later it was an Oliver tractor plant and now I think the Winnebago Corp owns the building area.May have to reach out to my local source there.

I agree, a pinned list is needed. All I have is a hard copy and I don't recall where the list came from. I am posting pictures now, and if someone will send me a pm with an email address, I'll scan and send the list. Here goes. Several posts to follow. I kept the files big so that they are readable.

post-12790-0-51270500-1523211557_thumb.jpg

Great info

Thanks for posting.

Maybe we can get it in a topic and pinned

I'm sure member Ordnance(Rick) can also add some info

Add BB to your list of makers for Burnham Boiler, Zanesville, Ohio.

Thanks Garandomatic. I already had added them some time ago. See post #12 at the top of the page. But now I know that they were located in Zanesville, OH.

There has to be more out there....especially the one who made mine.

Thanks again, Al

I just picked this up a few months back. Here are the stamping' s on it.

Sal

Hi Sal. See Post #14. Richmond Foundry & Mfg. Co. Inc., Richmond, VA

Thanks, Al

Hi Sal. See Post #14. Richmond Foundry & Mfg. Co. Inc., Richmond, VA

Thanks, Al

I saw it Al. I hope your OK with me showing the stamping's.on mine. Just wanted to share that with you. Great info here, I had no idea what maker that was or if it was just faked. I bought it because I thought it would make a nice display piece.

Sal

Charlie Flick

Fellow Hirsca has provided me with scans of the pages he posted above. I have lightly edited them which, I hope, enhances their clarity and eliminates non-US grenade references. Hirsca reports that this info came from a now-defunct website so some caution is probably in order when relying upon this data. Thanks to Hirsca for making this available for all of us.

Charlie

page 1 ed.jpg

Page 2 ed.jpg

Page 3 ed.jpg

Fellow Hirsca has provided me with scans of the pages he posted above. I have lightly edited them which, I hope, enhances their clarity and eliminates non-US grenade references. Hirsca reports that this info came from a now-defunct website so some caution is probably in order when relying upon this data. Thanks to Hirsca for making this available for all of us.

Charlie

attachicon.gifpage 1 ed.jpg

attachicon.gifPage 2 ed.jpg

attachicon.gifPage 3 ed.jpg

Thanks Charlie for doing this. Glad to have helped. Still looking for the manufacturer of mine in the original posts

Al