K Troop 3rd US Cavalry Regt WWI

Retired Army Noncom

Retired Army Noncom

I've a question regarding the 3rd Regt WWI. I understand K troop was the only Cav troop that actually participated in any campaigns, 3rd Cav being in three but they were assigned to two different Corps, I and III Corps. Would someone know if they would have worn any Corps patches? Has anyone seen any photos of 3rd Cav Regt tunics with Corps patches?

​Thanks

Ed

Retired Army Noncom

Now I'm researching the 2nd Cav Regt and conflicting info is presented although there are other places that back up the 2nd Cav participation more than the 3rd.

I'm venturing into an area I'm not all that knowledgeable in. WWI US Cavalry.

world war I nerd

The 2nd Cavalry Regiment is listed as being a part of the First Army during the St. Mihiel offensive (August 30 to September 30, 1918). At that time, the Corps attached to the First Army were the I, IV & V Corps.

As of September 26, 1918, the 2nd Cavalry Regiment must have been posted elsewhere as they are not listed as being a part of the First Army during the period of September 26 to November 11, 1918. However, the Corps with the First Army during that time period were comprised of the I, III, IV, V, VI & VII Corps.

Maybe the 2nd Cavalry Regiment was shifted over to the 2nd Army for the Meuse-Argonne offensive?

Retired Army Noncom

The 2nd Cavalry Regiment is listed as being a part of the First Army during the St. Mihiel offensive (August 30 to September 30, 1918). At that time, the Corps attached to the First Army were the I, IV & V Corps.

As of September 26, 1918, the 2nd Cavalry Regiment must have been posted elsewhere as they are not listed as being a part of the First Army during the period of September 26 to November 11, 1918. However, the Corps with the First Army during that time period were comprised of the I, III, IV, V, VI & VII Corps.

Maybe the 2nd Cavalry Regiment was shifted over to the 2nd Army for the Meuse-Argonne offensive?

I was hoping you'd drop by. What about the 3rd's participation in actual offensives? I read where K troop had some action. Any truth in that?

Ed

They were the only cav troop to be authorized to wear the 3rd corps patch other then the approved companies of the 2nd cav. Of interest they were also authorized to wear the 3rd army patch post war and in occupation, I have both specimens in my collection

Retired Army Noncom

They were the only cav troop to be authorized to wear the 3rd corps patch other then the approved companies of the 2nd cav. Of interest they were also authorized to wear the 3rd army patch post war and in occupation, I have both specimens in my collection

Thanks Mitchell.......I'd love to see your examples.

Ed

world war I nerd

Sorry, Ed - Other than either all or part of the regiment was "Over There", I have no detailed information on the 3rd Cavalry Regiment at present.

Bonjour.

The 3rd Cav. Was stationed at Tréveray/meuse (1st Divisional Training areas A.E.F.)

His mission is the "remont".

From a photograph taken by a photographer from the village.

post-241-0-05016700-1523258840.jpg

Retired Army Noncom

Bonjour.

The 3rd Cav. Was stationed at Tréveray/meuse (1st Divisional Training areas A.E.F.)

His mission is the "remont".

From a photograph taken by a photographer from the village.

attachicon.gifARC_g_395 3rd cav officiers - Copie.jpg

True......I have read though, that K Troop was dispatched and participated in three offensives. The Aisne-Marne Offensive, Oise-Aisne Offensive and Meuse-Argonne Offensive.

Retired Army Noncom

I noticed in the photo, there was no directive on where to wear the unit designator (3) on the cap.

True......I have read though, that K Troop was dispatched and participated in three offensives. The Aisne-Marne Offensive, Oise-Aisne Offensive and Meuse-Argonne Offensive.

Yes, tout à fait.