Can anyone Identify Wreckage?

notinfringed

notinfringed

This photo came from one of the albums in my collection. The plane went down somewhere near Fairbanks Alaska during WWII. I'm leaning towards P-40, but I'm sure someone on here will know.

post-2011-0-17668200-1523083403_thumb.jpg

I’m thinking P-39 based on the engine appearing to be mid fuselage and the tail section which I believe is to the right doesn’t appear to show a tail wheel, pointing to the tricycle gear 39 also

The landing gear also looks 39. The oleo isnt compressed so it looks longer that you see in images of a parked 39. You can see the V shaped part in this image laid flat with the oleo extended

post-68384-0-57888300-1523084363_thumb.jpeg

Interesting photo.

I see a pump shotgun in the photo.Im guessing there was a threat of bears or other hostile natives...:D

I wonder if there are records around Fairbanks in the local news etc of the time detailing aircraft lost.Im sure there were several.

Garandomatic

Thought i saw a difference between the landing gear pics, but that's what you get when you're squinting at a phone!

Pretty wild crash... Hopefully the pilot bailed!

notinfringed

I assumed that the nose of the plane was to the left in the photo based on the direction the exhaust manifolds are facing. This is assuming of course that the engine didn't get spun around.

notinfringed

Interesting photo.

I see a pump shotgun in the photo.Im guessing there was a threat of bears or other hostile natives... :D

I wonder if there are records around Fairbanks in the local news etc of the time detailing aircraft lost.Im sure there were several.

No hostile natives here :P. Even bear encounters are relatively few and far between here in the interior. Some of the other pics from the album suggest that they may have been out hunting, and simply come across the plane? Here is another picture from the series. I assume this is an old trappers cabin that they came across. Cabins like these can still be found in the woods around town.

As far as records go, from what I understand they are virtually non existent. The military had such heavy censorship during the war that shy of a pilot missing or dying, news of crashes never made the papers. The military papers of the time (which I have a small collection of) seem to be more focused on keeping the Men's minds off work. I assume all of the military records were shipped South some time after the war, but I don't know for sure.

post-2011-0-15660900-1523119457_thumb.jpg

manayunkman

It looks to me that you're right about stumbling accross this site.

There are leaves on top of everything and a look of having sat there for a minute.

I bet that wreck is still there.

notinfringed

I’m thinking P-39 based on the engine appearing to be mid fuselage and the tail section which I believe is to the right doesn’t appear to show a tail wheel, pointing to the tricycle gear 39 also

I just re-read what you said, and I think you may be right. The cockpit area would be off picture to the left. P-39 seems to be good guess. I know there were several of them to go down here, piloted by both US and Russian pilots. Thanks for your help.

I have Fairbanks News Miner front page from my Army time at Ft Wainwright with a story about P63 (or maybe a P39) wreckage found not too far off post in 1972. Ladd Field, the former name of Ft Wainwright, was a big transfer point for aircraft being flown to Russia. Soviet pilots were based at Ladd Field to ferry lend lease aircraft.