2nd Armored Cavalry Flag or What is it?

I picked this up the other day because it was very inexpensive and couldn't pass it up. The seller had it marked as a Vietnam 2nd Armored Cavalry flag, but I think its too small to be a flag measuring 17x23 inches, and has no eyelets. I could be wrong but I also think it may be from WWII, because it reminds me of a pillow cover from that era, but I have never seen one this large. It is really beautifully embroidered whatever it is, and has been mounted in this frame on a red and white felt background for quite some time. I am tempted to take the back off so I can see what it looks like on the back side, but I really like the way it looks and don't want to damage it. I have scoured the internet trying to find one like it with no luck. I would love to know if anyone has seen one of these or has any info about what era it might be from. I will post a photo of it, and try to get some close-ups so you can see the amazing embroidery. Thanks ahead of time!

post-59872-0-90194200-1522988586_thumb.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WWII 8TH & 9TH AAF UNIFORMS/NAMED MEDALS/SCRAPBOOKS/ANY TYPE OF GROUPING!

It is for the 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment. The 3d Squadron is the specific element of the Regiment as shown by the "3" in the upper right. That means. It looks like a commercially made going away or retirement gift from the 1960's to me. It is a post-WW2 item since the unit designation is Armored Cavalry and not Cavalry.

Greetings,

Concur with others' remarks about this being a "going away" type of award/gift for Officers/ Senior NCOs to display in their office or homes after they depart the unit in order to commemorate their service with 2d Cavalry (in this case 3rd Squadron). It is most definitely not a Vietnam Cavalry Unit's flag (perhaps they meant era?) as none of Second Cavalry Regiment's units/elements ever served in Vietnam. I've no idea of period this was made.

Best,

V/r Lance

“With a gentleman I am always a gentleman and a half, and with a fraud I try to be a fraud and a half.”

Otto von Bismarck.

I'll weigh in a bit differently. It looks like a decoration from a Regimental Room or Battalion Commander's OFFICE. As it does NOT have a plaque, I think it was displayed where everyone knew what it was. The longest acting or LAST acting Battalion of a Regiment is the keeper of the regimental history and will often decorate a conference room or loby with ALL the flags from the regiment, including itself. Yes, these things are done down range, either with theater made items or items brought from home station. Army Units love hearldry and carry it everywhere.

​You've got a nice piece. If it all looks to have been "together forever" I wouldn't open it. Your'e only the temporary custodian....Don't leave the next one with more questions because your'e curious. That old tape can't be duplicated!

Enjoy it! 2ACR is a great, historic unit.

Lucas Sparks

MAJ, FA

FT Sill, OK

www.homesteadersfinest.com

http://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=102532

http://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=268384

Thanks for the feedback everyone....I still have no idea for sure what era its from, but at least now I know that it is a regimental decoration piece of some sort. I have found others similar on the web, but no others that I have seen have the detail that this one has. Lsparks you are correct, it does look to have been in the frame for a very long time a has tape with yellowed edges holding the back in place. I will leave it in place, and enjoy it as is. Thanks again for the help!

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WWII 8TH & 9TH AAF UNIFORMS/NAMED MEDALS/SCRAPBOOKS/ANY TYPE OF GROUPING!

Would have to be whatever it is, post 1957 CARS for it to be 3rd Squadron, pre CARS, the Battalions, or in this case Squadrons in Regiments, to include the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Armored Cavalry Regiments first coming into being late 40s early 50s, would not have Colors, but have a Flag.

In this example, a late 1940s Infantry Battalion Flag, the 2nd Battalion 351st Infantry, Trieste Italy, Crossed Rifles with Regiment and Battalion number, in Blue and White. With an ACR, not sure on what their Squadron Flags looked like (they might of used some sort of design varient of the famous Red White Cavalry Guidon here a larger non swallow tailed affair), But if it was the same design as the Infantry, then just using Yellow, with White maybe??, with Crossed Sabres, pre 1950, post 1950, then Yellow and Green with the new Armor Branch Tank and Crossed Sabres.

post-34986-0-51252000-1438015044.jpg

Nice piece, I vote for privately made as well. This is the prize of my collection. When my father retired out of lightning troop of the third squadron of the second ACR they gave him this privately made flag.

post-153664-0-11991200-1523147419_thumb.jpeg

I like guidon flags. They're my bag, baby.

• 2 years later...

I’m late to this party but as a former Trooper I agree with both sides. Lspsrks point is well taken. No plaque seems to indicate a Squadron Commander office wall mounted representation as the keeper of the colors. However based on dimensions and construction and since the same craftsman in general make them for units and farewell gifts locally, it could be either. I’ve seen both mounted in commanders’ offices and internal unit museum rooms. It looks just like mine from 1/2 ACR. 
it is also traditional to frame the company guidon as in the last photo, for departing company or troop commanders. Another nice traditional touch. The colors are fantastic, and as mentioned a nice nod to the heraldic traditions of our Army. 

RIP My Stinky Faced Jumbo, the sweetest, most loving giant dog he touched the heart and life of everyone he came in contact with. He is a joyful spirit and I miss him greatly

23 April 2014

RIP My Dog Dog Jane, the Best Dog EVER. She was perfect in every way. Her spirit is with us every day. April 2019

I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.

GEN George S Patton, Jr.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif