I am looking for information about War of 1812 cartridges, how they were made and where they were made. I have limited access to primary sources and have second hand information that cartridges were made up in the field in "laboratories." Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

dunmore1774

You can use the War Department papers site below to do some digging. I used it for the 1780s-1790s Indian Wars, for military orders, wares, expenditures, and procedures. I believe the period is just prior to 1812 period, but definitely would be useful info in the approx time period and may point you in the right direction. Post 1812 and through post Civil War period, I know they made cartridges at Allegheny Arsenal near Pittsburgh.

http://wardepartmentpapers.org/

dunmore1774

From the War Dept papers through the 1790s, the best I can tell is that officers ordered materials (lead, powder, paper, and thread) to the regional quartermasters. The quartermasters maintained laboratories where they completed the construction of the cartridges. I believe at this period that included Fort Fayette (near Pittsburgh), West Point and maybe Carlisle? I dont know if/how the procedure changes by 1812 or during times of general war. Possibly contractors were more engaged?