Government surplus equipment

dustin

Garandomatic
21 minutes ago, Dave said:

When I was little, my dad and older brother met a fellow who had an extensive (no kidding extensive) collection of military vehicles in his backyard, ranging from a Sherman tank to a WW1 Renault FT, multiple half-tracks, German vehicles, etc. He additionally had an extensive military weapon and a respectable militaria collection in his house. 

Even more impressive was that he earned a Silver Star and Purple Heart on Okinawa as a Marine during WW2. I didn't even think about looking up his citation until long after he passed, but he was a darned impressive guy. I assume his family sold off everything when he passed away as his son and grandson are expats in France. 

I'll see if I can dig up some of the photos of his yard. As a kid, it was the most amazing place in the world. I think my teachers thought I was some sort of war-monger as all of my drawings in the first and second grades were of military vehicles! Raise 'em young, I guess... 🤣

Screenshot_1.jpg

I found my 2nd grade journal... nothing but warbirds... drawings, details about them... i haven't changed a bit in 30 years. I can only wonder what my teacher thought when I poured my 8 year old heart out at learning that John Belushi died of a drug overdose....  RIP Capt. Wild Bill Kelso....