CG-4A glider recent items

jonesy1275

Here are two recent items to my collection which I think are very exciting.

The first is a super rare CG-4A or C-47 tow rope connector assembly with approximately 12" of nylon tow rope still attached. This was unearthed at an ex WWII airfield in France. The assembly consists of (From R - L) D Ring Plug, Figure Eight Swing Link, Oval Link on the Thimble before the line was back spliced to make a loop. I've seen a few NOS tow ropes with connectors in museums but to have one that was used in the ETO is something else.

The second item is a CG-4A glider load adjuster. This was used to correctly balance any cargo inside the CG-4A ensuring that the centre of gravity remained within limits. These appear on sale fairly frequently but this one caught my eye as the serial number of the CG-4A was written on the paper tag. The CG-4A guru, Charles Day has confirmed that CG-4A 43-41903 was manufactured by Pratt-Read from Deep River, Connecticut. The company only manufactured 956 CG-4A's in total whilst this CG-4A was #125 out of 350 manufactured during one of the contracts awarded to the company.

The comms cable was found with the tow rope connector and I thought it was the comms cable for the interphone between C-47 and glider but after some research it isn't.

Neil.

post-72146-0-48647400-1522942504_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Really cool, I like the tow rope connector. Just think it Might have been used in combat.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

According to Joe Baugher's site this was a Pratt- Read made CG-4A-PR. His records show that 43-41779 thru 43-42128 went to the RAF as Hadrian II's. There was no individual record listed for 43-41903

WWIIinterviews

According to Joe Baugher's site this was a Pratt- Read made CG-4A-PR. His records show that 43-41779 thru 43-42128 went to the RAF as Hadrian II's. There was no individual record listed for 43-41903

Thanks for the info.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Missing soldiers

nice items, only have a few small pieces which I found at Arnhem from one of the 4 CG-4A that landed there, more a Horsa Glider collector :)