Please Help! 116th Inf. H Co. 29th Infantry

americankraut

americankraut

I am going to be talking with a veteran about his service for possibly the last time. He served in the 116th / 29th Infantry 3rd platoon H company. Every where I look for information on H company, skips from F to I Co. I have a few records that state he was in H, so I am pretty certain it existed. I am also pretty certain H Company was a heavy company, like most Battalion structures at the time. Years ago, I think he mentioned being part of a mortar team that landed, and that majority of his platoon had 1903 rifles. He was wounded in action on D-Day, and again in Brest France. Please let me know if any of you have any questions for him tomorrow, this is possibly the last chance I can ask. Thank You.

Captainofthe7th

H Company was certainly an organic company to every 2d Battalion of an Infantry Regiment. They were the heavy weapons company (D, H, and M)

The company would not have been attached to F Company, but elements of it would have been whether it be a squad or platoon or something else. I think it varies by the mission. If a rifle company needed more supporting machine guns, they send out those from the weapons company to support. They could have been with D, E or F at any time.

Hope that helps!

Rob