What is this scabbard for?

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I picked this up on eBay thinking it was a garand bayonet scabbard but it doesn't fit my 10 inch bayonet. It has the flaming bomb on the metal part. It was overpainted haze gray.

post-104619-0-18694500-1522900855_thumb.png

I believe Doyler is correct. It looks like a Korean modified scabbard for a shortened [6 inch] 1905 bayonet, the bayonet blades

were also narrowed from the normal 1905 width, as a result the original arsenal markings have been removed.

The scabbards that I have seen had a metal skin over the sheath.

Chuck

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks for the ID I guess this could have been used by the South Korean Navy. There's no metal skin on this scabbard. I see someone is selling the Korean bayonets on eBay guess I'll pick one up.

Like Ron stated these were M7s, or M3 scabbards cut down by Korea to fit the shortened M1 bayonets. At some point the Koreans fitted a metal sheath over the old scabbards, note the rivets. Years ago I bought 4 of the cut down M1s, in the wrappers, for $15 a pair. Couple years later I bought the scabbards for $5 apiece. Years before, I did find a shortened scabbard in a local pawn shop that was not Korean metal covered. The scabbard was in a box full of M8A1s. SKIP

• 10 months later...
SergeantMajorGray

Just stumbled across this old topic. I bought a Korean reworked bayonet for this scabbard but it is way too small for the scabbard what could it be for? Too small for a 10 inch Garand bayonet but too big for a South Korean cut down?

The Koreans cut down the M1 bayonets to a size that would fit an M8A1 scabbard. Keep in mind the shortened M3 or M7 scabbards were made for an M1 or M1905 bayonet that did not have it's blade ground down not only in length, but in width & thickness. The cut down M1s are loose fitting in the shortened scabbards, not a snug fit as originally designed. SKIP

SergeantMajorGray

The Koreans cut down the M1 bayonets to a size that would fit an M8A1 scabbard. Keep in mind the shortened M3 or M7 scabbards were made for an M1 or M1905 bayonet that did not have it's blade ground down not only in length, but in width & thickness. The cut down M1s are loose fitting in the shortened scabbards, not a snug fit as originally designed. SKIP

How much longer is the scabbard compared to the blades on the Korean cut downs theres on considerable amount of extra scabbard on this one. Also the blade hardly locks in I wouldn't want to be issued this.

I see now! The scabbard you have is cut down, but not for the Korean M1. More than likely some troop shortened the scabbard to fit his customized fighting knife which could have been made from an M1 bayonet. You see all kinds of modified/cut down bayonets on ebay. SKIP

SergeantMajorGray

I was wondering about the possibility of that you guys made me buy a Korean bayonet for nothing! Kidding it's a cool bayonet in it's own right its 1943 date is still visible. Now to find a suitable modified bayonet for this scabbard.