Helmet ID

rosieres64

Is it possible to identify (good guess) this helmet just by pictures? The heat stamp seems to be worn away.

Thanks

post-13330-0-38801400-1522684529.jpg

post-13330-0-53887500-1522684549.jpg

I didn't word this correctly.

What I meant to say is can you identify the manufacturer of this helmet from just the picture?

The heat stamp is worn away.

Thanks

jim.rogers1

Not with any accuracy. McCord, Scheuter and Reading-Parrish all had very slight profile differences, but without a visible heat stamp, in my opinion, it is near impossible to determine which. I've seen some helmets where the heat stamps could not be located. The Reading-Parish stamp is on the right side near the chinstrap swivel, instead of at the brim (and thus could be missed). The toughest M1 shells to even date are rear-seam examples with no visible markings. They were pretty indistinguishable from 1944 to the early 1960s.

If you are wanting to ID the liner, that is much easier with markings and component types. Yes, it looks like the liner or at least the headband is post war. WW2 suspension was light OD. Very late WW2 and after was a darker OD color.

I didn't word this correctly.

What I meant to say is can you identify the manufacturer of this helmet from just the picture?

The heat stamp is worn away.

Thanks

Ooh that's not easy but if I have to hazard a guess (after balancing a McCord and Schlueter shell in front my computer screen ^_^) I would say Schlueter. It seems there is less flare in the rim/visor.

Is it a front seam shell? Maybe the spot welds (near the seam) that hold the rim can tell us more. If they are round than that usually means it's a Schlueter. If they are oval than it's a McCord.

Rene

Ooh that's not easy but if I have to hazard a guess (after balancing a McCord and Schlueter shell in front my computer screen ^_^) I would say Schlueter. It seems there is less flare in the rim/visor.

Is it a front seam shell? Maybe the spot welds (near the seam) that hold the rim can tell us more. If they are round than that usually means it's a Schlueter. If they are oval than it's a McCord.

Rene

Yes, front seam, sadly the rim is missing from the front half of the helmet

I tried to take a picture but there is too much flash back.

The helmet was given to me by a great friend from Belgium.

Maybe this can help. In the picture the Schlueter shell is on the left, the McCord is on the right. When you place both shells on a flat surface and look at them from the front you can see that the Schlueter has less flare. Maybe if you put your shell without the liner on a flat surface you can compare it with this photo. (i have to say that both shells in my picture have fixed chinstrap loops)

post-169612-0-82622300-1522774756_thumb.jpg

Rene

Unfortunately the pic of the chinstrap loop is a bit fuzzy.

These pics show the loops on a Schlueter ( the feet of the loops are more rounded) and a McCord (the feet of the loops are less rounded)

Sclhlueter

post-169612-0-59023400-1522948926_thumb.jpg

McCord

post-169612-0-35004000-1522949000_thumb.jpg

Rene

Better picture.

Looks like a Sclhlueter

Having looked at some reference books (especially Pete Oosterman's book) I think it is a McCord based on the feet of the loop and it's more rectangular shape.

Rene

• 1 year later...
Lester Green

Hello Mr Green,

I think that is a Bulgarian helmet from the 1950-60s.

Interesting, I see no markings anywhere on the helmet. What clues are there to it being Bulgarian? Thanks for the quick response!

Lester Green

Manayunkman, you pointed me in the right direction. I believe the helmet is a Yugoslavian M59/85.