Help Needed Rebuilding Hgu-68 Helmet

mwesson030

Hi,

I recently bought this Hgu-68 shell off of eBay a couple of days ago, and I would like to rebuild it back to its original configuration. I haven't attempted a project of this scale before, so I'm in over my head and looking for some help. The first thing I could use assistance with is the helmet wiring. Based on the tape, I think that the helmet might have flown in an e2 Hawkeye aircraft in the VAW-124 "Bear Aces" squadron. I am not familiar with the wiring assembly that would go with that aircraft, and if anyone here is willing to show an example of a complete setup for a Hawkeye helmet, that would be appreciated. The next part I am unfamiliar with is properly mounting EA styrofoam liner into the helmet. Finally, does anyone know where to buy the interior velcro that the earcups attach to in the helmet?

Thanks,

Mwesson030

P.S - If you have Hgu-68 parts for sale feel free to send me a message.

Front/back

post-172448-0-33694200-1522538619_thumb.jpg

post-172448-0-00677400-1522538625_thumb.jpg

A Hawkeye helmet should have the basic setup as the older HGU-45 helmets helmets. Clearly had a boom mic, and also had the in line amp assembly for the boom mic attached as I can see the screw hole (dark hole behind and above the boom mic mount hole). Headset assembly would be the CX-4708/AIC with a black S hook on the outside for the plug. Not sure if the ear phone elements would still be the H-87B/U's. Would have the ICS downlead with the U-61 plug. Needs the snap studs for the visor cover attachment (rear most screw holes), Black lightweight O2 mask receivers. The internal felt like sheets for the ear cups to attach to I have no clue where to buy that as there is no general spare part for that at any online shops of helmet stuff. It has to exist though in the DoD supply chain. I had a USAF buddy get me some from the AFE shop for the HGU-55 helmet for me. That stuff always falls apart after 20 years it seems. If someone can confirm the 68/P shell is similar to a 55/P I could probably hook you up on some spares of that cloth.

2nd reply to the last pic, They have a Lip Light for the mic attached so the wire going up to the top rear left of the helmet to the battery pack pouch. The little rectangle below it is the In Line mic amp for the boom mic. That amp is attached to the shell with a small plastic bracket that screw into the shell. That bracket will be a lil challenging to find. The amps are around and I actually have a spare of that. That helmet was changed to the bungee visor and also has the anti snag kit on the O2 receivers.

Couple pics from the HGU-45 project, This is the basic comm system in like an exploded view minus the ear cups and boom etc, all the electrical components. Also another pic showing how that amp is mounted in the little bracket.

post-11373-0-40483000-1522549458.jpg

post-11373-0-92753700-1522549471.jpg