gulf war gear

Lt.

i still wonder why the army finaly rejected the IILBV after a brief service of less than 10 years...i think is a very good design...i think the US army is all the time on the look around for new equipments even when some existing equipments performing very well...when i was a soldier in the greek army in 1990 i was given an M1 Garand & the greek copy of the british WWII P37 web equipment... thumbdown.gif needless to say i was feeling like i was in saipan or okinawa than in a modern army...after the basic training with all that antique staff i sent to the front line camp were i received the G3 rifle & the greek copy of the US M1956 vietnam equipment & i was feeling as a super modern soldier!!! w00t.gif:lol:w00t.gif at the same time the 1st gulf war broke out & when i show on TV what owr US counterparts wore at the time i felt like a poor misereable african guerilla!!! crying.gif even today we dont have flak vests & tactical vest in greece!!! we still wearing M1 steel helmets M1956 pouches & a poor greek copy of the nylon ALICE!!! the US soldiers must be happy & proud of what they get from their government to go to war!!! they are far beyond any competition on the military field...this is what we call a superpower...

post-467-1230241764.jpg

Marines of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force (1st MEF) move across the Saudi desert back to their camp following a training exercise during Operation Desert Storm.

From flickr.com, Lietmotiv's photostream.

post-467-1230242428.jpg

Newly arrived Marines are led through an encampment near an airfield during Operation Desert Shield.

post-467-1230242913.jpg

Marines wait with their equipment on the pier. The Marines will be boarding U.S. Navy ships for transportation to the Persian Gulf region for Operation Desert Shield.

post-467-1230243250.jpg

Cpl. Robert C. Unhoch, Co. C, 1st Bn., 2nd Marine Div., surveys the area after arriving at his mission location during Exercise Imminent Thunder, part of Operation Desert Shield. Unhoch is armed with an M-16A2 rifle.

post-467-1230243572.jpg

Members of the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (4th MEB) as they walk along the pier beside the amphibious transport dock USS SHREVEPORT (LPD-12). The 4th MEB is deploying to Saudi Arabia for Operation Desert Shield.

post-467-1230243927.jpg

Me geared up and heading to get in the convoy with the 1st Marines to move into Kuwait - Ground War - Desert Storm.

From flickr.com, zippinthru2001's photostream (Rick).

post-467-1230244449.jpg

Leaving Jubayl, May 1991.

From L-R standing are Augusta Marines Rob Jackson, Landon Boyd, Johnny Scott; Steve McNorrill kneeling. This is the day we thought we were leaving the gulf after Desert Storm. Little did we know that we would be sleeping on the Jubayl airport floor for three days with nothing to eat but beef stew and peanut butter sandwiches. We must have played a thousand games of cards waiting for that freedom bird. As much as we cussed our situation, in retrospect it was better than how we had been living the preceeding few months.

From flickr.com, stevenmcnorrill's photostream.

2966079164_a7b8d564c8_b.jpg

Cpl. Robert C. Unhoch, Co. C, 1st Bn., 2nd Marine Div., surveys the area after arriving at his mission location during Exercise Imminent Thunder, part of Operation Desert Shield. Unhoch is armed with an M-16A2 rifle.

Ummmmmm.....what kind of boots is this soldier wearing? They almost look like some of the Bata boots from the Vietnam War or possibly Portugese boots from the African Wars. Any ideas guys?

Arch

Ummmmmm.....what kind of boots is this soldier wearing? They almost look like some of the Bata boots from the Vietnam War or possibly Portugese boots from the African Wars. Any ideas guys?

Arch

Looks like Pataugas, French made. Perhaps a swap with a Légionnaire ?

i still wonder why the army finaly rejected the IILBV after a brief service of less than 10 years...i think is a very good design...i think the US army is all the time on the look around for new equipments even when some existing equipments performing very well...

The reason the LBV didn't last long was because of the solid nylon housing didn't allow the heat to escape very well. The Enhanced LBV was a little improvement, the biggest problem with the vest was that it didn't allow for much flexibility and guys that had to go into the prone hated having their spleen punctured every time they hit the "deck". About the same time, the MOLLE gear was being developed, but weak material was being used and the items didn't hold up well and would get ripped off fairly easily. When the MOLE gear came of age, it allowed for the FLCE to be more flexible, thus a better item than the LBV.

when i was a soldier in the greek army in 1990 i was given an M1 Garand & the greek copy of the british WWII P37 web equipment... after the basic training with all that antique staff i sent to the front line camp were i received the G3 rifle & the greek copy of the US M1956 vietnam equipment & i was feeling as a super modern soldier!!! even today we dont have flak vests & tactical vest in greece!!! we still wearing M1 steel helmets M1956 pouches & a poor greek copy of the nylon ALICE!!!

Believe it or not as mundane as that might seem it would still be beneficial to collect at least one set of everything that you just mentioned. In 20 years time all that stuff may be hard to get ... I have a single Greek camouflage uniform and I would not mind getting some accompanying webbing for it (as long as it's well marked or stamped and not some Taiwanese knock-off!) I have been in my country's service through its transition from cotton Vietnam gear to nylon gear and now camouflage gear and I have at least one set of each. Some items of the older stuff are now very hard to find in good condition, then again some items are still in surplus everywhere. The bottom line is - you just never know ...

Arch

They look lot a like what some commercial companies such as US Cavalry Store and Brigade Quartermasters market as 'Israeli desert boots'. I am surprised that they would be better than US desert boots ...

Arch

If you look at top of boot-there isn't any laces.

Those are Israeli Double buckle Canvas boots. I recall them being all over the place in the 1980's.

If I remember right my buddy was issued these during DS-he was with 82nd

Lastly a pic that was originally posted by Mercenary25 showing the vest in use during Desert Storm. I have this picture in one of my books as well and it is identified as being the US Marines, but these look more like Army guys to me. Correct me if I am wrong guys. Notice the seldom seen modified 6-color jacket.

That is a picture of 5th SFG in DS, I have the 5th SFG produced DS book, there is 2 pics of same guy in that book

Plus a bunch of pics, with guys wearing the tan LBVs

Matt

That is a picture of 5th SFG in DS, I have the 5th SFG produced DS book, there is 2 pics of same guy in that book

Matt

By the chance, can you scan those pics and entertain us? :)

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the id! I have the 5th SFG DS book as well. It is packed away in one of my many boxes. You have now given me the incentive to look for it today!

What am I clown?

No offense intended. All I was asking that if you could scan photos of those guys with vest you speak of. I thought it would be interesting. But on other hand, nevermind.

No offense intended. All I was asking that if you could scan photos of those guys with vest you speak of. I thought it would be interesting. But on other hand, nevermind.

I will get some scans this weekend

Geez, can't take a joke?

I agree with Matt D here......on the fact these things look like Israeli DD combat boots.

There should be no laces at the top at all, just a little over mid way, where the wrap takes over with the buckles.

I do know of these being in tan and then in black....just never seen them before in what appears od.

These things are all gone from surplus stores....except for one place here where I live, they actually have a few pairs left. I have heard rumors a while back, 10 years ago....that they were Israeli Paratrooper boots, as to if this is true or not...I'm not exactly sure.

Duffy

I can't say that I'd want to jump in them either, it's just a rumor I heard a long time ago.

Like I said, not sure if it's true or not.....maybe, and then maybe not.

Duffy.

I agree with Matt D here......on the fact these things look like Israeli DD combat boots.

There should be no laces at the top at all, just a little over mid way, where the wrap takes over with the buckles.

I do know of these being in tan and then in black....just never seen them before in what appears od.

These things are all gone from surplus stores....except for one place here where I live, they actually have a few pairs left. I have heard rumors a while back, 10 years ago....that they were Israeli Paratrooper boots, as to if this is true or not...I'm not exactly sure.

Duffy

I saw those boots in the pic earlier

Several years ago you could order the Israeli "style"boots from Brigade Quatermasters and the Cav Store also had them.Came in several colors...Black,tan and OD.I believe these are the same boots in the pic and the guy most likely bought them prior to deployment.

RON

there are many boots around with this look...israeli-french pataugas-british jungle M1944-WWII marine raiders-bata boots etc...and they all look simular-you cannot tell witch model it is from this picture...there are also many simular commercial models in the market