gulf war gear

Lt.

While I don't generally condone watching movies for reference, "Jarhead" should give you a pretty good sense of what was carried and how it was worn.

Thanks, but actually last night i watched jarhead and black hawk down, but no help. But thanks anyway.

If you were to ask some specfic questions, you might get some specific answers.

Well, specifically, i was looking to look like a usmc 81mm mortar man, from 1991, that served in the gulf war.

Well, specifically, i was looking to look like a usmc 81mm mortar man, from 1991, that served in the gulf war.

Does anyone know where to get this stuff for a decent price. if you do, let me know.

Does anyone know where to get this stuff for a decent price. if you do, let me know.

I can tell you what I had on in the Marines in 1991. We were issued the chocolate chip desert cammies with a boonie cover. We had the alice belts/quick release and H harness. I had two M16 pouches on the front and a surplus butt pack on the rear/canvas, plus a Kabar. We were issued medium Alice packs with no frames which we attached to our vehicles. Initially we were not issued boots and wore black boots during the duration of the war. All the supply guys had desert boots but we did not get them until sometime later. I still have my issued pair new in the box. We had woodland flack vests with no covers but did have desert cammie covers for our packs. I carried a berreta in the bianchi flap holster and an M-16A2. We wore green t-shirts under our bdu's as the brown ones came out later. I will try and put my stuff together so you can see what it looks like, I just found my cover the other day. Let me know if you need any other specific info and I can hook you up with a full set of the gear but I don't have any extra uniforms, I don't believe.

We also had the gas mask and MOPP suit which would need to be added.

I can tell you what I had on in the Marines in 1991. We were issued the chocolate chip desert cammies with a boonie cover. We had the alice belts/quick release and H harness. I had two M16 pouches on the front and a surplus butt pack on the rear/canvas, plus a Kabar. We were issued medium Alice packs with no frames which we attached to our vehicles. Initially we were not issued boots and wore black boots during the duration of the war. All the supply guys had desert boots but we did not get them until sometime later. I still have my issued pair new in the box. We had woodland flack vests with no covers but did have desert cammie covers for our packs. I carried a berreta in the bianchi flap holster and an M-16A2. We wore green t-shirts under our bdu's as the brown ones came out later. I will try and put my stuff together so you can see what it looks like, I just found my cover the other day. Let me know if you need any other specific info and I can hook you up with a full set of the gear but I don't have any extra uniforms, I don't believe.

We also had the gas mask and MOPP suit which would need to be added.

Thanks so much. sounds great, pictures always help. and thanks for fighting for our country. just a question, did you know a charlie gale during the gulf war??

One thing you should consider getting is an ANTI-STARLIGHT desert parka, there is the shell.... which is the

actual pattern, and then the other part is the liner.....which in fact is the same liner used in the M65 Jackets.

Most of the time, the Army is seen wearing these, but the Marine Corps did as well.......

They don't cost that much, you could pick an unissued example up off of ebay for next to nothing......maybe even

$20 for the shell.....the liners are everywear. They were one of my favorite items and patterns to have in my collection, years back when I collected modern / current on the side.....the concept of these was so there was a reduction of infared image during night manouvers, etc.

Great Gulf War piece.......there are pre-war examples as well.

Hope this helps.

One more thing.....

When it comes to the ALICE rucksacks....I'd say go with a large.

In period photos you do see the odd medium sized one being used but it was more of a stateside

type piece as the load amount was too small for depolyment overseas.

Having said this, find yourself a photograph of U.S personal departing over to the Gulf, they will all be carrying the large version....

One more thing.....

When it comes to the ALICE rucksacks....I'd say go with a large.

In period photos you do see the odd medium sized one being used but it was more of a stateside

type piece as the load amount was too small for depolyment overseas.

Having said this, find yourself a photograph of U.S personal departing over to the Gulf, they will all be carrying the large version....

thanks alot, i appreciate the help.

Not a problem....I once collected this period stuff on the side, I let go of quite the collection when I parted with it

though... crying.gif

I had trial pieces and everything.

Any other questions....just ask and I may be able to help you out.

Duffy

I dug out my Gulf War stuff and took a few pictures. I think when you look at pictures you see two different scenarios. The whole operation moved quickly from start to finish. I think if you want a representative of the actual ground campaign you will have a different look than post campaign. We had very little desert camo other than our bdu's and helmet covers. Our flak vests and vehicles were green. By the time I left the area I was issued desert boots but never wore them. I wore the pictured leather combat boots. Now the speed lacing boots were issued but I preferred these and never wore the speed lace style. I think most pictures showing the night camo, which I never saw over there were well after the campaign. I don't think any unit had everything they needed. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor was applied by us. The uniforms did not come with them on we had to iron them on both the BDU blouse and cover. A black watch cap and black leather gloves would also be part of the gear as it got very cold that time of year.

desertstorm001.jpg

These are not my original ammo pouches. While these would be dated correctly we all had the older lighter green divided ammo pouches. In my opinion they would be correct. The blue green ones are new for a reason, they were never issued.

desertstorm002.jpg

The marines were not issued butt packs. This was a private purchase that most of us had. I used this one as it was cheaper at the time. We had both types nylon and canvas.

desertstorm003.jpg

desertstorm004.jpg

I would say if you see these boots in a picture it is either a supply guy or after the war. There were alot of black leather and private purchase desert boots used.

I had a Kabar as well but it was a private purchase as they were not issued. I carried it on my left side as I had the Beretta on the right hip.

I dug out my Gulf War stuff and took a few pictures. I think when you look at pictures you see two different scenarios. The whole operation moved quickly from start to finish. I think if you want a representative of the actual ground campaign you will have a different look than post campaign. We had very little desert camo other than our bdu's and helmet covers. Our flak vests and vehicles were green. By the time I left the area I was issued desert boots but never wore them. I wore the pictured leather combat boots. Now the speed lacing boots were issued but I preferred these and never wore the speed lace style. I think most pictures showing the night camo, which I never saw over there were well after the campaign. I don't think any unit had everything they needed. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor was applied by us. The uniforms did not come with them on we had to iron them on both the BDU blouse and cover. A black watch cap and black leather gloves would also be part of the gear as it got very cold that time of year.

desertstorm001.jpg

These are not my original ammo pouches. While these would be dated correctly we all had the older lighter green divided ammo pouches. In my opinion they would be correct. The blue green ones are new for a reason, they were never issued.

desertstorm002.jpg

The marines were not issued butt packs. This was a private purchase that most of us had. I used this one as it was cheaper at the time. We had both types nylon and canvas.

desertstorm003.jpg

desertstorm004.jpg

I would say if you see these boots in a picture it is either a supply guy or after the war. There were alot of black leather and private purchase desert boots used.

I had a Kabar as well but it was a private purchase as they were not issued. I carried it on my left side as I had the Beretta on the right hip.

wow, great pictures. thanks for the help. i really appreciate all of the help.

Another decent example for a movie in which you can reference to is "Courage Under Fire"......I wouldn't say it's the best movie in the world, but for a reference I would say it is a good one to check out.

It even shows the woodland NBC suits being worn in the beginning and this is correct.......it is also not in-correct to put a british desert dpm NBC suit with your U.S gear in your Gulf War display....reason for this is that there were no desert NBC kit for U.S soldiers at that time....I always took this is as either a private purchase option, or a U.S gov't purchase.

One very interesting thing I have seen is a british NBC suit in Choc. Chip. Pattern......I ran into a bunch of these about 8 years ago, still sealed in british plastic bags with NATO tags. Unusual but very unique.

Duffy

I think most pictures showing the night camo, which I never saw over there were well after the campaign.

Maybe the Marines didn't have them, but about every Army Soldier I knew had them going over the berm.

Most definately......I have even seen photos of this.

Anti-Starlight was actually being made prior to the war in the Gulf.....I don't see any reason what-so-ever why it wouldn't have been used from the earliest of days.

:thumbsup:

LT.

Just happened to notice that in the " For Sale Subforums " that there is a pair of Anti-Starlight

Over-Trousers listed.

Thought I'd give you a heads up so you can see what this pattern looks like, as we have spoken

about it throughout your postings.

It is under the heading of Uniforms / Headgear, the seller is bay.223, the heading in which he put it under is

" Night Vision Proof Over Trousers ".....

Anyhow, just another bit of help I thought you might like to hear.

Funny though....we had just been talking about this pattern....

Here is something that you need to round out your gear. It is an authentic DS hand held GPS. I got two in a deal, the other is in my gear, I'm getting ready to flog this off on eBay for $150 if you are interested.

10ppy4k.jpg

Here is something that you need to round out your gear. It is an authentic DS hand held GPS. I got two in a deal, the other is in my gear, I'm getting ready to flog this off on eBay for $150 if you are interested.

10ppy4k.jpg

thanks for the help. happy thanksgiving. i'll get back to you on that one hawkdriver.

• 2 weeks later...