Rating Vietnam Era Body Armor

CommanderBander

CommanderBander

I recently found the front/back plates for Vietnam Era body armor. The FS number is 8470-141-0941. It's date of manufacture was April 1970. With the Integral Carrier it says that it can withstand 30 caliber ball projectiles. I was wondering if anyone knew what level of protection this was: Type I, Type II, Type III, etc? I was hoping to sell this but don't want to run into any export/sales issues.

dan_the_hun84

I recently found the front/back plates for Vietnam Era body armor. The FS number is 8470-141-0941. It's date of manufacture was April 1970. With the Integral Carrier it says that it can withstand 30 caliber ball projectiles. I was wondering if anyone knew what level of protection this was: Type I, Type II, Type III, etc? I was hoping to sell this but don't want to run into any export/sales issues.

I am not a ballistics expert- but I seriously seriously doubt even when new, that 1970 ballistics material would stop .30 ball as in .30-06 or 7.62 NATO. Possible .30 Carbine-

Armor has a shelf life and these plates would barely stop a paint ball gun anymore.

I used to manufacture body armor and one of the first things I was taught was shelf life of armor.