Pile of M9 bayonets, last three 7, 8 and 9.

JimD

Continuing from my prior two posts of a few minutes ago:

I bought a pile of M9 knives pretty reasonably priced and am probably going to put them on my table at the next militaria show here in Arizona in May. I think some of them are commemorative pieces, some are civilian and a few are actual military issue. I think I'd like to keep one and wanted to get some input as to what I have here. Like I said, I got into them very reasonably priced so don't be afraid to tell me if some are absolute drek. If I get more than $20 a piece I am coming out ahead so no worries there.

The second three are in this post.

#7 has an unmarked matte silver blade with two indentations on the guard with 5316 stamped on the guard by the muzzle ring, 960320 stamped on underside of the guard. No marking at all on black plastic sheath which has a stone on the reverse. Super secret special forces item or, more likely, civilian model?

#8 is, well, white with M9 Lan-Cay USA on side of black blade, LAN-CAY on pommel. White sheath is marked Lan-Cay on reverse, no stone.

#9 is marked EOD, M-11, Lan-Cay on black blade, round pommel unmarked. Not a bayonet but an engineer tool I surmise. Orange plastic sheath is marked LAN-CAY on reverse. Packed in the carrier is Mini Maglite, a crimper marked as shown and a Gerber utility tool. The tool carrier is marked on a rubber loop as shown. The whole outfit seems a little "bright" to be military issue.

post-2661-0-44470600-1522385044_thumb.jpg

Nice knives I haven't even seen them in all of those colors before! If you are making money over $20 you did well! I sell the green handle ones like your for $75 plus on ebay and have gotten as much as $90 each for them! Im sure show prices might be a little less but still you did very well! Thanks for sharing!

Hi,

No. 7 is probably a commercial piece. Phrobis III, LanCay, and Ontario all marked their blades. Even the newest Tri-Technologies blades are marked. The blade looks real good, like it is a military blade, but unmarked?

No. 8 is again one of the colored series. The colored series will bring more money than the military contract M9s.

No. 9 is a different story all together. The EOD M-11 in orange is something I have not seen before. I have an orange M9, but I have not seen the orange M-11. With all the doo dads that go with it, I suspect it is quite a prize.

Marv

IMHO, 9 should be investigated further. While it may prove to be intended for commercial sales. M-11's tend to be desirable from Lan-Cay in general, especially with the tool pouch. I have an early M-11 in green. Still looking for the correct pouch for it. That one is different than the version Lan-Cay made.

I have an M-11 somewhere; I'll have to dig it out. These are for Explosive Ordnance Disposal Teams. I suspect the orange handled one here is a commercial version for local responders, but I don't have any information on it.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, 9 should be investigated further.  While it may prove to be intended for commercial sales. M-11's tend to be desirable from Lan-Cay in general, especially with the tool pouch.  I have an early M-11 in green.  Still looking for the correct pouch for it.  That one is different than the version Lan-Cay made.

As I recall there was a small batch of the M11s made in that high vis color for police bomb techs. There is no real money in that kinda knife so it never went anywhere.

I think they told me how many, but I’d be making it up if I told you a number now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

#7 is a Chinese knock off. You can spot them from ten feet away by the blade stop on the cutter plate. Looks substantial but is held in place by a hollow rivet. I suspect it would shear off the first time it was used.

The orange EOD has the standard tool pac that Lan-Cay used on their military and commercial knives. There were two earlier variations but they were made in very limited number. They made the M10 in every color that they made the bayonets in, including the camo patterns.

• 2 years later...

The white one is a winter warfare arctic version ... incredibly rare variant! That's the one you want to keep or sell, depending on how you look at it. Gunbroker has one for sale now for $1999.00 and the back strap isn't correct, it's all black. Out of the three arctic versions made by Lan-Cay, you have the coolest version ... the Model 1 with all white fittings, white waffle handle, white back strap webbing; Model 2 had black fittings, a white waffle grip, and white back strap webbing; Model 3 had black fittings, a white ergo grip, and white back strap webbing ... all very rare! Out of all of these, only 38 were made! Since your post was in 2018 you probably got rid of the bayonet by now. Hopefully, you got some good $$$ for it. Coincidentally, I have a Model 2 tucked away.