1943 helmet

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Could not pass this up. How could I not hang this on the wall next to my helmets?!

Apparently an M1 helmet can stop a 45 at close range haha

Dated: April 10, 1943

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky 7th Armored

Cool piece!

And if you read the article it DOES say “it can even tangle with a .45 bullet fired at close range” despite having a 9mm luger graphic shown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I would have though 9mm would be better than .45 at penetration because it is faster and smaller. But I don't know anything about ballistics.

Cammobunker

If you've ever watched the helmet ballistic tests posted by a guy on Youtube (Mike B) you know that .45 is usually shrugged off by the average steel helmet and 9mm is normally zipping right on through. Oh .45 leaves a big dent, sure, big heavy slow bullet. 9mm usually penetrates at least one side. True story, the M1 helmets were tested by shooting them with a .45.

This reminds me about an event my Dad once told me. My Dad removed a P.38 pistol from a German Officer at some point during WWII. At the end of the war his unit was stationed along the German-Czehoslovakia border. The checkpoint had US GIs on the west side and Russians on the East side. Dad said the Russians bragged about almost everything and they bragged that their pistols were better and deadlier than the Americans. So a German helmet was put on a post and shot at with the Russian pistol. The only thing the bullet from the Russian pistol did was make white-ish streaks. Next came the US Colt .45 which punched in the steel similar to the above picture. After that my Dad's Lieutenanct, Lt. Timmerman, asked my Dad to bring his German P.38 over to see how that would do and it shot a nice clean hole through both sides of the helmet.

CG