Vietnam Bring Back Shotgun/ Vietcong .28GA

bdale

This was posted in our local firearms forum, poster inherited following the death of his father; a Vietnam Vet. Includes the paperwork that allowed him to bring it back. Not sure if just a handmade shotgun or small batch Vietcong Product but interesting to say the least.

Owner is interested in selling but wont put a price tag on it....yet. If anyone has any ideas or information it would be appreciated.

post-168937-0-88075800-1522273565_thumb.jpegpost-168937-0-93584700-1522273594_thumb.jpegpost-168937-0-69470000-1522273613_thumb.jpeg

I find the VC jungle made weapons fascinating.The shotguns don't really bring a really high value, and some of that depends on the capturing unit. If SF or SOG or 101st or 1/9 Marines, etc, that might add a bit, as would any description of the capture.Broad range $450 to $850. Usual selling in the $650-$700 area.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant tell for sure, but it looks like its fashioned from parts from a French MAS 36 rifle which wouldve been used by French colonial forces during the French Indochina war. Especially interesting is the apparent metal piece joining the buttstock to the fore end of the rifle. There was a variant of the MAS 36, issued to colonial paratroopers, which had a folding buttstock which could be folded under the rifle, presumably to secure it for a parachute jump. How cool would it be if you had a battlefield pick up from Dien Bien Phu which the Viet Cong crudely repaired and put back into service? A French colonial military history nerd can only dream...Seriously, though, it might be worth while to post it up on one of the French military rifles boards on one of the surplus military rifles forums. Some very knowledgeable guys over there.

I cant tell for sure, but it looks like its fashioned from parts from a French MAS 36 rifle which wouldve been used by French colonial forces during the French Indochina war. Especially interesting is the apparent metal piece joining the buttstock to the fore end of the rifle. There was a variant of the MAS 36, issued to colonial paratroopers, which had a folding buttstock which could be folded under the rifle, presumably to secure it for a parachute jump. How cool would it be if you had a battlefield pick up from Dien Bien Phu which the Viet Cong crudely repaired and put back into service? A French colonial military history nerd can only dream...Seriously, though, it might be worth while to post it up on one of the French military rifles boards on one of the surplus military rifles forums. Some very knowledgeable guys over there.

You're speaking of the French CR39, with the underfold buttstock. Those are also an uncommon bringback from SEA. I had one with the underfold stock replaced with a jungle made wood butt. I've seen a lot of jungle made shotguns and this one is definitely different and unusual. I can't tell from the photos if it folds or not, but I like it and having the documents is a huge plus.

Vietnam bringback weapons many times just reek of the history of the region, and that makes them very interesting. I've even got a French P-38 that was taken from an NVA officer, who when interrogated said that he got it at Dien Bein Phu.