WWI Nomenclature for construction/material changes

Dr_rambow

Hello,

I have a bit of an academic question relating to field gear in the 1910-1918 period. I am trying to wade through collector terms and get down to official designations of articles of equipment, and how those articles were officially referred to over time as changes were made in materials and construction.

If we look at Articles of uniform, we have the name of the article (For example: Coat, service) with no M designation defined by specifications. So, if a situation arose that one needed to refer specially to a generation/variation in a Service Coat, you could simply say The Service coat of specification No. 1160.

My problem is (as far as I know) a Cartridge Belt, Caliber .30, Dismounted, Model of 1910 is a Cartridge Belt, Caliber .30, Dismounted, Model of 1910 regardless of the snaps are eagle snaps or lift the dot snaps, if they have the clip retaining straps inside the pouch or if those have been omitted. I have seen the sewn (not woven) variations of the same belt be referred to as a M1917 however I dont think Ive seen anything official designating it as such. If this designation is true, question that raises is why would a new model designation for a construction variation for a cartridge belt but not issue a new model designation for a fundamental design change like the Meat Can pouch and Haversack after the transition from (collector term) 1st pattern to 2nd pattern?

If someone can direct me to primary documentation on the matter I would be extremely grateful.

Please excuse my horrendous grammar mistakes and omission of words. Sometimes my mind moves faster than I can type.

You could try to find the Ordnance Price Lists. They make reprints of several of them. The newest I have is 1917 so it will not help with your M-1917 belt question. Old Mills catalog reprints may also help you out. There is a great article that was in the Company of Military Historians magazine in the 70's is also a great reference. My copy is a reprint but someone may be able to post a nice PDF. The same author wrote articles on first aid pouches and oblate spheroid canteens. Sorting out collector terms and official terms is a tricky business, but a lot of fun.

Do you know what the specific "price list" publication is called? Most of that stuff has been digitized so if I know what I'm looking for I should be able to pull it right up.

Price list of ordnance and ordnance stores

Publication No. 1879

I have them from 1917, 1916, 1913, 1910, 1908, 1904, and 1891. There may be more reprints out there of other years. You can also get the description and instructions for the Model 1910 Infantry equipment, 1912 Cavalry equipment (link) https://archive.org/details/descriptiondirec00unit and the 1904 edition of the cavalry equipment book. There must be reprints out there.

Bob