Differences in B-17E or G Load Adjusters?

stratasfan

I have a B-17G load adjuster. Would there be differences between a load adjuster for a B-17E? My Uncle flew on B-17Es and I am thinking I'd really like to see about trading my B-17G load adjuster for an E, as it would have been something he would have used. :) However, I was wondering what the differences would be. Also, can you find B-17E load adjusters?

I am not an expert on this, but I would think they would carry the same payload. I don't think there was a difference in the power plants in the two aircraft, there were other modifications.

I think it is possible that they were different. The different models or modifications on an airframe would, or could, alter the center of gravity. Altering the center of gravity on different models could require different load adjusters.

My two cents.

Chris

hbtcoveralls

Yes there would be a specific load adjuster for the E and the F and the G model B-17

Load adjusters are for calculating weight and balance, and the arrangement of heavy things on the B-17 (guns, turrets,radios, ammunition) and other things changed from model to model

For example, the G model had the chin turret which, of course. added weight to the nose

Tom Bowers

Here are pics of my B-17 Load Adjuster! Does this look nice? Since it is the only one I've seen, I am not sure if it is missing something or something. :) I might try trading it for a B-17E version, as I think it would be fun to have one like Uncle Harold would have used.

A quick question . . . would they all have had a plane's number on the paper? Were they issued with each plane?

post-151812-0-00687100-1522269992_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-65969600-1522270002_thumb.jpg

Load adjusters could be kept inside the aircraft. If you notice that loop below the window on the case, they usually had a small metal hanger device that would be mounted in the aircraft I believe. This kept the adjuster stowed in the aircraft and why the info is filled out on the tag. I have a brand new B-52C,D,E and F model adjuster and that metal hanger is with it still and the tag is blank of any data.

Ive seen the adjuster that is for the E and F model B-17. Do a google search, you will see one that sold in the UK from a military equipment site. As mentioned above there are differences in the weight and balance with the placement of things between models, G not only had the chin turret but also the Cheyenne tail gun setup.

5thwingmarty

If you look at the on you have shown, you can see the tag in the case that shows the specific aircraft this adjuster came from. Each plane had its own load adjuster. Somewhere I recall reading a story about one of the contractors who was scrapping the planes after the war gathering the load adjusters from them and then giving them away as souvenirs later.

There is a B-17E / B-17F load adjuster on ebay for the low low price of $824.99 right now if you are desperate for one.

I have one at home somewhere too, but don't recall if it was also for the G model. If mine is for the E/F model I will let you know.

5thwingmarty

Here are pics of mine. If you want to trade I am ok. Be warned mine does not like to slide and I don't know how to loosen it up. It moves about 1/2" and then sticks. Also, despite what I said before, this particular one does not appear to have been assigned to an aircraft as the card in the holder was never filled in.

If you want to trade message me your mailing info and I will reply with mine. My two uncles flew on B-17G's so I am ok with an adjuster from a G-model.

Marty

post-96854-0-25682100-1522276539_thumb.jpg

post-96854-0-91158500-1522276547_thumb.jpg

I've been looking the plane number up that the card on my load adjuster says it was from. Turns out it was a B-17 that got shot down over Berlin!

44-6500 Del Lincoln 25/8/44; Grenier 8/9/44; rump 350BS/100BG [LN- ] Thorpe Abbotts 11/9/44; MIA Berlin 3/2/45 w/Orville Cotner, Bob Coover, Elmer Rundy, Steve Monick, Hugh Boyd, Reinhardt Konlaski, John Moss, Harry Snyder, Don Andris (9KIA); direct flak hit cut off wing, cr Berlin, Ger. MACR 12045.

From the MACR:

Received a direct hit by flak, believed to have been a ground rocket, on the right wing just as bombs were released. Right wing was folded up against fuselage and the AC flipped over on its back. The wing gasoline tank exploded and the entire AC began to burn and then exploded. One man was seen to bail out, reported to be the Tail Gunner, and his chute opened.

Guess this load adjuster wasn't with them on that flight . . .

Here are pics of mine. If you want to trade I am ok. Be warned mine does not like to slide and I don't know how to loosen it up. It moves about 1/2" and then sticks. Also, despite what I said before, this particular one does not appear to have been assigned to an aircraft as the card in the holder was never filled in.

If you want to trade message me your mailing info and I will reply with mine. My two uncles flew on B-17G's so I am ok with an adjuster from a G-model.

Marty

Hi! Just saw your message . . . I was busy reading through the MACR for the airplane that my Load adjuster came from! Came from being the key . . . obviously didn't stay with it!

Yours looks super nice . . . can you not get the slide part out at all? I am going to go look at mine and see how tight it is. Mine is tight to get out of the leather case. A good swing away from the body brings it out enough to pull it out without trouble. They sure didn't waste leather goods when they made these things!

My NOS B-52 adjuster was stuck as well, Ill assume it might have swelled over the years from temp changes. I ended up using a mallet and gave it a little tap and its been free and smooth operating since.

Interesting thread.

I have a Convair T-29A/B/C load adjuster and my slide is so loose it falls out whenever I take it out of the case :)

-Derek