AAC Flight Engineer/Airplane Mechanic Gear Question

stratasfan

Hi! My GGGUncle was a Flight Engineer and Airplane Mechanic in the early WWII days. Enlisted in 1939, trained at Chanute Field and then was stationed in Alaska and the Aleutians until his death in 1943. He worked with B-18s, B-17s (I think E and F models), and B-24s (I think D models).

So . . . my question. ;) I have a B-17 load adjuster. so cool, as it also came from a flight engineer. Would there be other items that would be specifically used by a Flight Engineer, on an ordinary basis. For instance (hypothetical questions, to give you an idea what I am asking) Did they have a particular hat they wore? Did they use a special fuel measuring device? Were they given a particular manual? Did they have special pocket screwdrivers? etc. etc.

I was just wondering if there were other items that might be something that Uncle Harold would have used on a normal basis . . . that isn't a medal or dress uniform thing or something.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Elizabeth

• 11 months later...
phantomfixer

Just saw this post Elizabeth..as a mechanic and flight engineer he would have had a variety tools and uniforms

Caps worn by mechanics in Alaska vary, but the more common and generally accepted caps would be the C1 cap, summer, even in Alaska, and the A4 watch cap in the winter.

A tool carried by some mechanics and FEs would be the flight wrench or what we call the Snoopy

caps from ATF and Eastman

post-155518-0-55905700-1552912341_thumb.jpeg

post-155518-0-81922100-1552912345.jpg

phantomfixer

Snoopy tool from Doyler, for opening engine cowlings and service panels.

and flight wrench from the web

The flight wrench has a fold out flat screw driver, a dzus tool, and slots to turn/open aircraft fuel caps, the fuel caps can be real tight at times

post-155518-0-34261700-1552912410_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-26394900-1552912416_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

and as far a fuel measuring sticks...we, the USAF still use a stick to measure fuel...mainly to make sure tanks are empty, very rare to use now adays...but back in the AAF and WWII I would imagine any wooden pole with calibrated distances for the tank/airframe in question would work

Oh, phantomfixer ---- you take my breath away! I'm over the moon! Finally . . . something fun that he would have used! OK . . . now a question for you (or anyone that might see this and know the answer) --- how would I look up the bottom Flight Wrench, if I want to see about finding one?

Also, any generic price range for the Snoopy or the FE? I'd love to get either/both eventually!

I did a quick look online in images at the Winter hat (what John Wayne is wearing in "Island in the Sky"!) and the OD colour is certainly diverse? Was it really diverse or is it fading? Or did each manufacturer just use the yarn they had in OD?

Thanks ever so for the posts! I'm thrilled!

• 2 weeks later...
phantomfixer

usually wear the one on left when workin on my jeep...and wear the one on the right when doing MX displays...I guess the greasy repop would look good in the box...