Bags for a stachel charge or other demo bag..

kphfun

I am hoping that some of you have pic's of the different type of bags used for explosives. I came across a couple of strange O.D. bags today but did not pick them up (there not going anywhere), they looked like fat map cases but not as well built and had sewn on straps. Thanks, K

I don't have any photos of satchel bags but you mentioned that you came across several, with one having straps....

most of the ones used in Vietnam, have ties as closures.....but I have seen an example many of times, where there are straps....very similar design to the m1956 buttpack.

If this sounds familar to what you have seen, are there pockets on the sides of this bag?

Hope this helps.

Duffy

Excellent Photos and pieces......

These two bags will be a great example to the description I have left regarding the types of bags with ties as closures....

Just need a photo or two of the type with the strap closures now......

I'll keep my eyes open for a photo.

Duffy

Roger that......that is the type!

I haven't seen one of these for a while....I don't believe they were as common as the tie-closure version....I'd say the ties version outnumbers this type 5 to 1.

Nice photo to show....

Johan Willaert

IMO the cloth style with strings was used to carry prepacked charges (packed per two in a wooden crate, will post a picture of said crate later) while the heavier canvas waterproofed bag was used to carry demolition material, not only explosives...

JOhan

Kevin,

I also have a water proof type bag made out of rubber material with a sealed zipper.More Nam era.If I can find it I will shoot ya a pic thumbsup.gif

RON

These bags have been dealt with before on the Forum

The flimsier bag is Bag, Demolition and it was intended to contain only explosives, which were shipped in it.

The bags full of explosives did NOT contain fuses or primers or any gear. For use, as a unit -- a "satchel charge" -- a fuse could be inserted. The bag was expendable as was not much carried by troops as "LBE" or "gear".

The heavier, canvas duck bag with straps and buckles is Bag, Carrying, Equipment, Demolition. It was NOT intended to contain the explosives but rather the ancillary gear used by demolitionmen, such as blasting machine, tape measure, contains of fuses and primers, detcord as so forth. While it is not impossible that these were used as "satchel charges" -- stuffed with boom-stuff and consumed in the blast -- that was not the purpose behind them. These WERE part of the individual equipment of a demolitionman.

Both types of bag served on through at least VN and were new-made that long. I do not know if they still are in the system or not.

These bags have been dealt with before on the Forum

The flimsier bag is Bag, Demolition and it was intended to contain only explosives, which were shipped in it.

The bags full of explosives did NOT contain fuses or primers or any gear. For use, as a unit -- a "satchel charge" -- a fuse could be inserted. The bag was expendable as was not much carried by troops as "LBE" or "gear".

The heavier, canvas duck bag with straps and buckles is Bag, Carrying, Equipment, Demolition. It was NOT intended to contain the explosives but rather the ancillary gear used by demolitionmen, such as blasting machine, tape measure, contains of fuses and primers, detcord as so forth. While it is not impossible that these were used as "satchel charges" -- stuffed with boom-stuff and consumed in the blast -- that was not the purpose behind them. These WERE part of the individual equipment of a demolitionman.

Both types of bag served on through at least VN and were new-made that long. I do not know if they still are in the system or not.

Thanks as I think this is what they are. Do you have any pic's?

IMO the cloth style with strings was used to carry prepacked charges (packed per two in a wooden crate, will post a picture of said crate later) while the heavier canvas waterproofed bag was used to carry demolition material, not only explosives...

JOhan

That would be great!! I am dieing to see the the wooden crate!!

Here are some pictures of a crate from my collection along with a couple of the bags and a C-2 block (inert of course).

Enjoy,

Bryan

MVC-018S.jpg

MVC-016S-1.jpg

MVC-019S.jpg

Johan Willaert

Here's a crate from my collection. Contrary to Bryan's, mine held C3 blocks, not C2 Composition. This one is dated August 1944.

Lwer picture shows several different blocks...

Crate1.jpg

Crate2.jpg

Crate3.jpg

CrateBlocks.jpg