M-65 question

WW2JAKE

I was a bit curious lately as to the fabric that is used to make M-65 jackets. I understand it is a blend of cotton and nylon. but what I would really like to know is in high temps like near a large fire, or if you were to be touched by flames will the fabric melt/shrink like Nylon or will it burn and not melt like cotton?

This is more for the jacket without the liner as I imagine the liner would shrink and melt in this situation.

I had one back in the early 70's when I was a kid and hung it near a camp fire to dry out. It burned!

that's good! Well... Maybe not for you as a kid... But that brings up an other question. Are they still made with the same material?

Cammobunker

To the best of my knowledge the DOD contracts specified the NyCo blend used in the field jackets, as well as the water resistant treatment given to it. The ones made today by by some companies (like say Alpha Industries) are supposedly using the same NyCo blend, and it certainly feels the same as my late 80's jacket. The less expensive ones made by by the C.H.Ina corporation typically use a cotton/polyester blend which is lighter weight and just feels cheaper.

Both having a fair percentage of cotton in them will burn if you get them hot enough. I've seen many of them with holes from sparks thrown out by open fires.

Still have one I purchased new in the 1977-78 range.Got a NoS hood in wolf fur trim for it as well for $5.

The water proofing was called quarpel treated if I recall.I typically had mine dry cleaned and they would "scotch guard" it for water repellancy.Maybe the treatment would make it a torch if it caught fire.

Good responses!

I'm not concerned with burning so much as that's just bound to happen if you come in contact with flames etc. I'm very worried about the possibility of shrinking and melting if you were in a hot area due to fire, but not actually in a fire.

I may have to get a torn up one or something and do some burn testing.

And just so everyone knows, I'm not worried about sitting next to a camp fire or something.

son of a Jungleer

Thought I'd throw this in... Looking at my OD, 1991 dated M65 jacket: (outershell: 50% cotton 50% nylon lining 100% cotton American Apparel Inc)... Might be interesting to see what % older contract #'s show...

Thought I'd throw this in... Looking at my OD, 1991 dated M65 jacket: (outershell: 50% cotton 50% nylon lining 100% cotton American Apparel Inc)... Might be interesting to see what % older contract #'s show...

I checked my 89 (Winfield MFG. Co.) and 83 (Alpha industries) dated ones and it's the same, I checked my dad's from 69 (So-Sew styles inc.) and 78 (alpha industries) and neither has a percentage though there are some changes noticable over the years. I will add that the liners say they are 100% nylon shell and 100% polyester batting so that would shrink as I speculated.