Help ID on class of ship

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

This is a hand crafted model of a US warship that I just purchased this morning. The model measures just over 3 feet long and is very well done. The gentleman I bought it from told me that he got it back in 1985 from the sailor who built it aboard ship in 1940. I am trying to figure out what class/type of ship this model represents and was wondering if anyone could help me ID it. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Rob

post-168-0-80549400-1521994075_thumb.jpg

Folk art mix that includes several periods of construction, I especially like the upper aft turret that has barrels on both sides of the mast.

In my opinion, it looks like a pre-dreadnought type battleship. Although it looks most similar to this type of ship, I doubt you'll be able to identify the exact name of the ship. I think someone just made it to look like this type without a specific ship name in mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-dreadnought_battleship

Fixbayonets!

Thanks for the link, yes, it does look like this type of battleship. I searched online for more photos of pre-dreadnought battleships and there looks to be many variations, most do have a basic layout like my model. Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated!

Rob

Thanks for the link, yes, it does look like this type of battleship. I searched online for more photos of pre-dreadnought battleships and there looks to be many variations, most do have a basic layout like my model. Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated!

Rob

You're welcome Rob. GREAT model too!

I like the little sea plane mounted up high between the stack and the mast with no way of getting into the air or down to the water.

MastersMate

Folk art resemblance to the ASTORIA class heavy cruisers of the 1920 1930s. Main battery short a barrel each..

Fixbayonets!

I like the little sea plane mounted up high between the stack and the mast with no way of getting into the air or down to the water.

The catapult actually swivels outward from between the stack & mast.

Rob

post-168-0-40355300-1522001004_thumb.jpg

Astoria? totally cool totally imagined fantasy, too much fun to pin down in any era. Just fun and cool. Did you plug the wires in ?

Fixbayonets!

Astoria? totally cool totally imagined fantasy, too much fun to pin down in any era. Just fun and cool. Did you plug the wires in ?

The wiring is very old and brittle and is missing the plug. It would have to be rewired to see what lights up.

Rob