USMC Silver Star Helmet + Jacket / War Dog Handler

Pegasus6

Hey all,

So I thought I would provide an update: research continues: I have since found out, that Hans "" was Charles Peaks dog, who was mentioned in the Article Czar - Peak and Hanz and Goderre are mentioned as dogs and handlers but through research at the National Archives in DC the reporter switched them. Found the USMC Service dog book for Hans and listed his Handler as Charles. So now on the hunt for Czars service book.

PFC Goderre enlisted 2 March 1943, Basic training at Paris Island, then assigned to war dog training at Camp Lejune, by Jan 44 assigned to the 2nd war dog PLT, raider battalion at Camp Pendleton. The record goes quiet until he is assigned in July of 44 to the 3rd marines where Goderre he and his dog would earn the Silver Star (Information courtesy of the USMC History Division). He then with 3rd Wardog PLT moves to join the fight with the Marines at Iwo Jima and since become Corporal Goderre. He Went into the USMC Reserves in 1946, and was called up to serve again in the Korean War and came out as a Staff Sergeant. More information to come. Hoping to have pictures and a better write-up for Goderre and Czar, so as long as Czars book shows Goderre as the handler. If not then will have to check on the other dogs Dusty, Rusty, Rex, Eisenhower and Tippy that were mentioned as dogs present but not the 2 out on the patrol listed with Goderre and Peak.

Working with folks out in DC via the archives is not easy nor is it cheap let me say...

More to Come...

-Peg6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...