My new camouflage find.Experimental? USMC Reversible Woodland/Desert Camo.

silkroad

Hello.

My newest find camouflage.The USMC reversible very odd for me.Maybe it Experimental? It have a tag at pocket cover.

Any info welcome.

Thanks you.

Silkroad.

post-162137-0-65991600-1521857451_thumb.jpg

More detail pics? If I’m reading the tag right, it’s a 1999 contract date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, very strange uniform. Even with 50/50 nyco rip stop material that would be hot! It looks like two complete jackets sewn together.

Interesting top. I'm guessing it was a test item issued to a unit for deployment. (Applied EGA and stenciled name. Stenciled name is more of a deployment versus CONUS practice. Given the contract date I'd also offer it was probably a 1st Marine Division unit. East Coast units weren't regularly deploying to the SWA. Pure speculation on my part.

Legit! And super rare I believe. I can't find any reference to this online at this moment in time, however I am certain that it was tested. Just can not remember where or when.

Like others have said, these were experimental uniforms trialed in the late 90s. Very rare find.

A friend of mine who was an 0352 (TOW Gunner) with 7th Marines out of 29 Palms had a set. He said they were issued them for Somalia. Great find!

Semper Fi,

Ski

Interestingly it only has two upper patch pockets, as opposed to the four billow pockets of a standard BDU.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-67468100-1522159544_thumb.jpg

post-153751-0-84144300-1522159550_thumb.jpg

Title: IPD, exp. refersabe [sic] BDU (some of them are titled "refersable", some "refersabe", one "referable", none correct)

Name on Item: G.T.

Date: January 20, 1993

Location:U.S. Army Natick Soldier Systems Center U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development & Engineering Center 1993/1994 Negatives (shelf locator)

This one is similar, however it has upper and lower pockets, 4 each side, for a total of 8, unlike yours.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

http://www.natick.army.mil/about/pao/2003/03-18.htm

May 15, 2003

Scattered around the work space, hanging dress forms display a wide scope of projects the designers have created, including the Air Warrior microclimate cooling garment, a protective body armor set used by combat engineers to clear mines, the Marine Corps utility uniform in the new camouflage pattern, and a reversible Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) constructed with desert camouflage on one side and woodland on the other.

"This particular uniform went through several design generations, and each generation was a learning experience," Cumming-Rowell said about the two-sided uniform. "It uses a single-ply of fabric, and the original version had pass-through pockets with offset flaps. It was a challenge, but we did it."

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/warrior_95_dec_fabrics.htm

SSCOM's Natick Research, Development and Engineering Center(NRDEC) has developed a reversible camouflage fabric with a 4-color woodland pattern on one side and a 3-color desert pattern on the reverse side. The patterns were printed using vat dyes for the desert colors and pigment dyes for the woodland colors. Two different fabrics have been successfully dyed, the 50/50 Nylon, Cotton Twill and the 50/50 Nylon, Cotton, Ripstop Poplin. The twill fabric is used in temperate environments and the poplin is used in hot weather climates. Laboratory tests have shown that both fabrics may meet the challenging durability and performance requirements of combat equipment.

Reversible camouflage printed fabric is not new; however in the past there was a problem with strike through. In the 1940's, in order to solve this problem heavy, thick, and uncomfortable fabrics were printed so the dyes would not transfer to the opposite side. With the two different printing techniques used with today's technology, it is now possible to print on the lighter weight fabrics from which Combat Battledress Uniforms (BDU) are made. Future potential pattern combinations for camouflage printing include urban/desert and urban/woodland.

The standard BDU uses a flat felled seam in the construction process. To accomplish this in a reversible uniform, a lock stitch for both sides is needed. Currently a chain stitch is used in all flat felled machines, a stitch similar to that used on a sack of potatoes With little effort it can be pulled apart loop by loop. A sewing machine that allows for a lock stitch both top and bottom has been designed and is now available. This allows for the secure flat felled seam that a reversible uniform would require.

Three prototype uniforms have been circulating at various displays and briefings that do not have this necessary seaming. However, at the present, three sets of uniforms are being constructed that use the new seaming. This will give the neat, crisp, appearance that the standard combat uniform is expected to have.

The reversible uniform has been briefed and displayed to a wide audience. Further development of reversible clothing and equipment covers will reduce the logistics burden, increase mission flexibility and reduce procurement costs.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

here is an archive of the natick website: https://web.archive.org/web/20031003023840/http://www.natick.army.mil/soldier/media/fact/individual/Reversible_BDU.htm

for anyone who can't access it here are the contents:

Reversible Battle Dress Uniform (BDU)Overview:Research and development efforts in the area of textile printing now allow successful printing on both sides of the fabric without colors bleeding through.

Two fabrics have been successfully produced: 50/50 Nylon/Cotton twill for temperate environments and 50/50 Nylon/Cotton ripstop poplin for hot weather environments. Possible combinations of front & back print include Woodland/Desert, Woodland/Urban, Desert/Urban, and any print with Arctic Snow Camouflage.

Benefits of reversible BDUs include:

Status:Design modifications include pass-through pockets, double pocket flaps, hinged front fly, double buttons on coat and trousers, and reversible labels. Prototype coat and trousers weigh a total of 5.5 ounces (5% more than current BDUs). Alternate construction methods are being explored to reduce weight. Other items for potential reversibility are helmet and pack covers. Reversible BDU test items are being produced for testing with the US Marine Corps.

post-153751-0-20589000-1522279810.jpg

I can't say I'm surprised that these were never actually adopted.

I think this is one of those ideas that looks great "on paper" or when you're sitting in an office somewhere trying to come up with ideas.

But if you're talking about a uniform that is worn day-in and day-out, I just don't think it works, for a lot of reasons.

Here's one: Imagine wearing a uniform like this with the BDU camo on the outside (darker) for a couple of weeks in the field. That lighter DCU material on the inside is going to get all pitted out and nasty from sweat.

So then, you deploy to a desert area and reverse the jacket - now you're sporting sweat and pit stains on the outside of the uniform. How long before the 1SG says "Oh, HELL no" and orders you to change uniforms.

It would be interesting to see all the "reversible" uniforms that have been tried over the years. I know in the late 80s' - early 90's some Army SF units issued Gore Tex jackets that had the desert camo print on one side and the "night desert/anti NVG" dark green/light green square grid on the other. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I never saw anybody wear the "night camo" side out, they were always worn with the DCU camo outside.

I know in the late 80s' - early 90's some Army SF units issued Gore Tex jackets that had the desert camo print on one side and the "night desert/anti NVG" dark green/light green square grid on the other.

There have also been reversible goretex parkas for unit purchases: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/202996-raven-early-woodland-goretex-anything-special/?p=1667078