USMC - the WW2 camo cover debate

ArchangelDM

post 2, page 1

anybody notice the black tire band around the helmet ? note the triangle point on it on rear left side pointing upward.

great photo

semper fi

If this is an important question to be answered, research at the National Archives or the USMC museum would probably be worthwhile. It's more likely to produce information than looking at pictures on the internet.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Amazing doccument, thank you Kamo man. Interesting with the label sewn in instead of stamped. Only seen that on early USMC Mitchell covers.

Hi Owen,

Thank you for posting the 1950's cover specifications, with the label included sewn to the cover.

I have two EGA stamped helmets, both of which are WWII covers. One is a no slit version and is constructed exactly the same as my known Marine worn WWII covers. It does not have a label sewn inside. The other is a type 2 WWII cover, with slits on the cover, but non on the "rabbit ear" flaps. It also does not have the label sewn. IMO, left over WWII covers were stamped and probably used during the Korea time period. Would others agree? I do have to say that my pictures of my Dad wearing his camo covered helmet in Korea - he does not have an EGA, nor did my Uncles helmet.

Unfortunately, my two helmet files are too large. I'll resize them and post them during the coming week.

Paul

Paul, I have yet to see a photo of a EGA marked helmet cover being used during the Korean War. My guess is they were used sometimes in the late 50s and onward.

I have never seen a ERDL cover with a sewn in tag either. That would be interesting.

Just to throw this In the mix, here is my named USMC set belonging to CHARLES JOESPH KANE

E BTRY 2BN 11thMAR and landed in Incheon Korea in June 52

If my lid is anything to go by he has hand drawn an EGA on the back, Im yet to see a cover with an EGA stamped in the Korean War

-Dean

post-8861-0-52940100-1543146211_thumb.jpeg

So, is the fall 1953 training photo I posted on page 3 the earliest known photo of an EGA stamped cover being worn?

Very nice helmet Dean and interesting that the EGA is hand done.

Paul

So, is the fall 1953 training photo I posted on page 3 the earliest known photo of an EGA stamped cover being worn?

Very nice helmet Dean and interesting that the EGA is hand done.

Paul

Hey Paul

As the covers where made and issued late 1953 they would have never made it to the battle field IMHO for Korea.

Your training photo 53 is the first Ive seen of that period.

Thanks for the comments on the helmet,

Its been through hell by the looks of it and with it being sewn up I would guess they where not that easy to come by on the battle field.

- Dean

I recognize that helmet Dean! My helmet that belonged to a marine in the same unit and worn during the same time period also has a EGA on the rear. I wonder if it is a coincidence

I recognize that helmet Dean! My helmet that belonged to a marine in the same unit and worn during the same time period also has a EGA on the rear. I wonder if it is a coincidence

;-) most probably the same unit Russ like you said

- Dean

Hello,

Here are photos of the helmets I mentioned in post #89.

The first one is a no slit WWII cover and has the large EGA, which

appears to be the same as the version in the period photo I posted.

Paul

post-180255-0-67139900-1543332435_thumb.jpg