Medal of Honor for William M. Corry Jr.

emccomas

I while back I contacted the nephew of US Navy LCDR William Merrill Corry Jr. about what type of MOH LCDR Corry had received. This was part of my research into recipients of the Tiffany Cross.

Corry's nephew did confirm that his uncle received a 5 point star Medal of Honor.

Yesterday I received pictures of the MOH. The nephew does not know what happened to the case, ribbon, or anchor part of the Medal of Honor.

Here are the pictures.

post-12036-0-43125700-1521794287_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-29638600-1521794298_thumb.jpg

That's awesome. I bet this was on one of the three ships named after him and that's where the ribbon (etc.) ended up getting lost. Corry Station is still in use and named after him. Very cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if the government would replace the missing components for the family?

I suspect that they would, but it would be with current issue stuff.

If I were the family, I would try to locate period correct parts.

OK, this may be a taboo subject, but I will try anyways

The owner of the MOH for William M. Corry Jr. wants to locate period correct parts to restore it, and then frame it. It will remain in the family.

As you can tell from the photos, it is missing the anchor suspension device, as well as the ribbon, etc.

So, lets start with what parts are missing. I don't know enough about Medals of Honor to understand how they are put together.

What parts are missing that would be needed to make this MOH complete?

I am NOT soliciting for MOH parts, just trying to find out how they are constructed, what parts are missing?

FYI: The MOH for Corry is a 1920 vintage.

The ribbon in period form with anchor would be hard to snag considering the "aged look" of a ribbon roughly 100 years old. Plus the way the ribbons were constructed in those days with different clasps, no pad, etc. versus current day ribbons with cravat and snap locks would be a hurdle. Moons ago, you'd see what's missing on this MoH for sale without the medal, and they'd sell, but not anymore.

The family might be able to obtain a current ribbon and anchor from the government, but the request must come from them and it might not be honored.

I did figure out that this should have been a Type V Navy Medal of Honor, so it is missing the Anchor, the suspension ring that hooks to the Anchor and goes around the ribbon. Here is a picture of a Type V from Call of Duty.

Again, emphasizing that I am not soliciting for parts, I seem to recall that there were MOH parts (ribbons, suspension devices, etc.) on Ebay a few months ago. Does anyone recall that?

I suppose the owner could request replacement parts (or a replacement medal) from the government. If he got either, I am sure they would be current issue parts. I wounder if the current issue parts could be converted to look like period correct parts.

I don't think the owner is looking for an "aged" ribbon, just one that would be correct for this medal.

post-12036-0-57749900-1523142163_thumb.jpeg

Here is a close up of the Semple MOH that was on Ebay Germany recently.

Note that the suspension device that connects the Anchor to the ribbon is NOT an oval, but rather it is closed on both ends.

post-12036-0-36206000-1523142838_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-95580200-1523142857_thumb.jpg

Here's a thought...if I were them, I'd contact the CMOHS. They just might have a vintage, unissued MOH available for parts (I know of at least one that was donated to them...) They might also know who in the DoD could help them as well...

huntssurplus

They could probably go through the National Personnel Records, but it would probably take a year or more for them to receive any replacement parts.

Hunt

Here's a thought...if I were them, I'd contact the CMOHS. They just might have a vintage, unissued MOH available for parts (I know of at least one that was donated to them...) They might also know who in the DoD could help them as well...

Dave;

That is a great idea.

I will pass it on immediately.

Thanks.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Dave;

That is a great idea.

Thanks.

Ed

Ed,

Another possibility is to have them contact their local congressman or senator. They might be able to help out or expedite things.

Dan

• 3 years later...
Primoris Scio
On 4/10/2018 at 1:44 PM, emccomas said:

Dave;

That is a great idea.

Thanks.

Ed

Ed

Is there an update to what happened with the MoH?