W.K. Emerson - U.S. Army Soldiers and Their CHEVRONS (2013 Re-issue)

Kurt_E

Hi to everyone! All of us know that legendary book "Chevrons" by LTC William K. Emerson that was published in 1983. It's still has tons of knowledge in it BUT it's outdated, let's say it straight.

And then in 2013 Emerson made an updated version of it or it will be honest to say - it's a full re-issue published by Bender Publishing.

So what one can find in thie re-issue? See below.

Pros:

- The book consists of more than 400 pages. Includes FULL-COLORED photos of chevrons versus the only black/white drawings in original 1983 issue. Some of the old photos that were in the first book are now in color. More brand new photos added. Info's updated 'till 2010/13. TONS of information as well.

Cons:

- The most dissapointing factor is the lack of post-WW2 chevrons color photos. Author puts good examples of WW2 ones but abandoned those that came after the war. Why? I don't know. Don't expect to see any 2-inch chevrons of 1948-1951 or those that appeared in 1951 and lasted until 1958. You'll never see any subdued 'Nam era chevrons too. Why? I don't know the answer. E.g. 1948-1951 era is covered with only one period photo and Emerson just states that there were two sets of chevrons with opposite colors - for combat soldiers and noncombatants. Yeah, we know that already...But where are the chevrons photos for God's sake?! Even 1983 ed. had the photo of such chevron.

- Hard to understand his cataloging. Makes me feel a headache with all these numbers instead of portion of good photo references.

- Too many info about whatever INSTEAD of chevrons photos and illustrations. You read but cannot see examples. Try to imagine, huh?

- Illustrations of AG44 chevrons in the charts are too small, like 1x2 cm.

- You won't see сomparison between cut-edge and merrowed-edge AG44 chevrons too.

- Chevrons for Blues ain't presented.

When I got my copy I was like: "it's AWESOME!!!". But dissapointing happened very soon. Just when I start reading about the 4th Period and didn't see what I expected to see...

But anyway, overall - it's a classy work and a must-have for every collector.

Check some photos below. If you wanna buy it just follow the link: http://www.bender-pu...m/Chevrons.html

post-87587-0-00958300-1521753493_thumb.jpg

post-87587-0-17793600-1521753502_thumb.jpg

post-87587-0-56285400-1521753514_thumb.jpg

post-87587-0-45506400-1521753524_thumb.jpg

I bought this as soon as it came out and I also had the original, so the new version was an improvement. However there were some problems like mentioned above. Another thing that bugged me was toward the end, there were many non-Army chevrons included but were included anyway since they were of the US Army style. Some were for marching bands and other outfits. A Big omission as far as I was concerned were the WWII era Civil Air Patrol chevrons that were the same as what the Army wore, except the CAP versions were on a red background. Also omitted there the white on blue early 1950's CAP chevrons that were the same size as the 2" wide Army stripes, but in different colors.

Even with these minor gripes, I would strongly recommend any chevrons collector to get a copy of this book. Nothing else come close.