Army Air Corps 1930

Steindaddie

Picked up a batch of Air Corps photos and will share a few over the coming days. Here we see General William E. Gilmore and his staff. I recognize a face or two - the man in the flying jacket is Major Hugh J. Knerr, commander of the 2nd Bomb Group whose insignia is painted on his jacket. Also seen is Major Hap Arnold. I believe the aircraft is a B-2 Condor - not sure though. Interestingly, all the men are wearing mourning bands. The best I can figure out is former President Taft had died only weeks earlier so maybe that is the reason. Photo is dated 4-3-30

post-1949-1227123913.jpg

Here is a close up of Arnold. Close examination reveals he wears his "Military Aviator Badge", he being the 2nd pilot in the military.

post-1949-1227124086.jpg

Nice pictures to see!

I think the bomber is a LB-12.

The B-2 had gunner positions in the aft of nacelles, and I don't think any in the nose.

But, 3-4 early bombers had bi-plane, tricycle gear and that round nose look.

Blue - It sure is hard to tell the 1920's bombers without a scorecard, but one reason I peg this as a Curtiss B-2 is the liquid cooled engines. Of the Keystone bombers, almost all had radials. One thing that makes me scratch my head is the fact the aircraft seen is of the 96th Bomb Squadron, but I find no record of them flying B-2 Condors. Only 12 B-2's were built. Here is a photo of a B-2. Also, as a sidebar, see the photo of the Keystone LB-7 at the air races - That is completely insane !!! :lol:

post-1949-1227131862.jpg

post-1949-1227131887.jpg

Blue - It sure is hard to tell the 1920's bombers without a scorecard, but one reason I peg this as a Curtiss B-2 is the liquid cooled engines. Of the Keystone bombers, almost all had radials. One thing that makes me scratch my head is the fact the aircraft seen is of the 96th Bomb Squadron, but I find no record of them flying B-2 Condors. Only 12 B-2's were built. Here is a photo of a B-2. Also, as a sidebar, see the photo of the Keystone LB-7 at the air races - That is completely insane !!! :lol:

They surely ARE hard to pin down, aren't they... :blink:

What I remember often is how interesting it was that the basic round nose bi-plane tricycle was pretty common to them all. Could be wrong about the B-12 having nose gun position, for sure though.

I just wonder if there WERE any B-2s built lacking nacelle gunnery?

• 3 months later...
Johnny Signor

that's the 96th Bomb sqd emblem for sure on the nose, it depicts the devil thumbing his nose while holding an aerial bomb ready to throw/drop it .

What I remember often is how interesting it was that the basic round nose bi-plane tricycle was pretty common to them all.

Bluehawk,

Where do you see any tricycle gear on these planes? These are all tail draggers.

Neat photos tho! thumbsup.gif