3506th Pilot Training Squadron patch 1953-1959 Greenville AFB, MS

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

3506th Pilot Training Squadron patch 1953-1959 Greenville AFB

I could not find another thread on this insignia.

post-122868-0-05998800-1521748901_thumb.jpg

post-122868-0-13074800-1521748927_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
ocsfollowme

Based upon the lighter I bet it is for the following flights?

Yellow 7

Orange 8

Blue 9

Burgundy 10?

Purple is most likely correct. Never heard of burgundy ever being used anywhere. Outside of that I would say the list from Steve is correct. Their sister flight had gray, pink, and silver flights as well. I'm sure there are others, but early flying training is really a nightmare sometimes as things changed rapidly there.

Randy

Here's the patch. Pretty risqué for the 50s, or anytime for that matter as it was worn on a uniform. There were quite a few contract flying bases in the 50s to handle the influx of pilots. These were civilian instructors using prop aircraft. Bainbridge, Spence, Marana, Greenville, Bryan, Graham, Malden, Stallings, and Bartow are some I recall, there were a few more. These closed up in the late 50s-very early 60s when jet trainers became the norm.

Randy

PINK-VII_1.jpg

This is interesting and may explain what I have that I have not been able to ID until now. These came in a larger group of mixed insignia of US Air Force and US Army patches. Based on the previously posted information, maybe these Sylvester patches are from the Blue 9 flight

IMG_20220403_0002.jpg

Seeing that Orange 8 has a tiger character on it's insignia and Blue 9 features a cat painting himself as a tiger, I wonder if insignias for Yellow 7 and Purple 10 also feature tigers/cats?

I have seen both. Yellow 7 was a yellow 7 and dice in yellow on black,  purple 10, IIRC it was a cowboy on a plane.

Randy