My USN ribbons

KRIS FORD

Jumpin Jack

Good morning Kris,

What is the E on the Purple Heart? I've never seen this before. Like Leigh, I would like to thank you for your service. If you're married, thank your wife for me as she has had to endure a lot of hardships. Jack

Thanks for you service...

Leigh

No, thank YOU! :)

Mine is humble compared to many.

Good morning Kris,

What is the E on the Purple Heart? I've never seen this before. Like Leigh, I would like to thank you for your service. If you're married, thank your wife for me as she has had to endure a lot of hardships. Jack

Thank you Jack.

Oh..that isn't a PH, it's a Navy Battle E. I was in shock when my Marine buddy I talk to regularly at work showed me his rack, and he DID have a PH..but NEVER mentioned it..

516_NER_grande.jpg?v=1443220836

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_E_Ribbon

But yes, my wife then is mine again now..we split right before I got out, but reunited 17 years later. :love:

Those silly online ribbon rack builders. That's not the right "E." That "E" is for the marksmanship medals.

That said, nice rack. Thank you for your service.

Those silly online ribbon rack builders. That's not the right "E." That "E" is for the marksmanship medals.

That said, nice rack. Thank you for your service.

Thank you!

Yes, that Is the Expert E in the digital version LOL..BUT, I got the small correct E on the ribbon itself..I need to try to figure out how to take pics..(USMF resizer never works for me..)

I just used a crop from my order page for the image.

Thank you for your service, shipmate! You have the AFSM twice...what ops did you participate in?

attachicon.gifdownload.png

Thank you as well shipmate!

GW, CVN-73 did Operation Deny Flight and Operation Decisive Endeavour/Joint Endeavour

As well as Operation Southern Watch and Operation Vigilant Warrior.

Thank you as well shipmate!

GW, CVN-73 did Operation Deny Flight and Operation Decisive Endeavour/Joint Endeavour

As well as Operation Southern Watch and Operation Vigilant Warrior.

Fantastic!

I wondered what the purpose of this medal was when the AFEM already addressed such operations that were not to the extent of the GWOT, OEF/OIF in terms of scope and size.

Fantastic!

I wondered what the purpose of this medal was when the AFEM already addressed such operations that were not to the extent of the GWOT, OEF/OIF in terms of scope and size.

Me too LOL..it seems to have some significance with the Bosnia conflict, as does the NATO..

Me too LOL..it seems to have some significance with the Bosnia conflict, as does the NATO..

Yeah, I got my AFSM and NATO while with the 352nd Special Ops Group doing rotations down in Brindisi, Italy covering the Bosnia operations back in the 1990's. The unit had been doing that rotation for almost 10 years by the time the whole thing closed down after the Battle of Kosovo, so an expeditionary medal wasn't in the mix.

-Ski

post-3043-0-14215900-1521824942_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I got my AFSM and NATO while with the 352nd Special Ops Group doing rotations down in Brindisi, Italy covering the Bosnia operations back in the 1990's. The unit had been doing that rotation for almost 10 years by the time the whole thing closed down after the Battle of Kosovo, so an expeditionary medal wasn't in the mix.

-Ski

Very nice ribbons...thank you for your service Ski!

We were in the Adriatic launching and recovering aircraft..1st time, I was in Weapons Dept, G-3 Division, and we built ALL of the ordnance for the squadrons..and we were BUSY..like 20 hour work day busy. if the SHTF, (General Quarters station)I was a on a .50 cal gun crew on port side fantail, 2nd time I was a Hull Tech changing MOS so to speak, and was more focused on damage control drills and advanced training, as air strikes against the carrier group, though unlikely, were definitely not impossible..we had to be ready for anything..same goes for our 3 trips to the Gulf, Weps 1st time HT/DC team 2nd time.

-Ski

Just curious, you have two NDSM, is one from the 1970's and the other from the 1990's? I was in '81 to '87 the non-NDSM era, yet I have two Expeditionary medals...

nevermind, I just read it was not awarded from 1995 to Sept 11th 2001

Small world Kris, I was in G-3 on the George Washington 2009-2011!

Right on, my fellow MAG RAT!!

post-176157-0-73963300-1522087098.png

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cvn73-94/469.htm

Here's a clip from our '94 Med/Arabian Gulf cruise book..a 19 year old me ,with me bottom right! I was in G-1 for a minute when W div went down, (the NUKE stuff..) then G-4, THEN G-3..then had enough of Weapons Dept, and made HT3 first time up..I also did my mess cranking in s-5..it was 120 days for me! 03 level, state rooms! Got to eat wardroom mess though, wasn't too bad...I was a red hat on the Flying Squad too..so wore a LOT of red in the NAV LOL

Here's your cruise book stuff:

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cvn73-09/index.html

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cvn73-10/index.html

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cvn73-11/index.html

SO very bummed they don't have our '96 Med/Gulf book..I hadn't seen the '94 one SINCE '94..and was looking thru and was like HEY, that's ME!! and showed a bunch of folk who didn't believe it was me! (as I have hair down to my belt line and a big beard!)

I missed being a Plankowner by 6 months..but they still dinged me off as one. ;) LOTS of fun doing the shakedowns and the MAIDEN VOYAGE. BIG honor to be part of her original crew.

I LOVED that damn ship..and still do..a piece of me is still on her..

Just curious, you have two NDSM, is one from the 1970's and the other from the 1990's? I was in '81 to '87 the non-NDSM era, yet I have two Expeditionary medals...

nevermind, I just read it was not awarded from 1995 to Sept 11th 2001

Yep, one for Desert Storm and the other for Iraqi Freedom.

-SKi