M40 Gun Motor Carriage & M43 Howitzer Motor Carriage

Proud Kraut

That's exactly what I was thinking about. A real bad weather scenario. My figures need those ponchos. Happily I have a book with a scetch and the meassures of these ponchos.

Stanton.jpg

I decided to use bottle neck banderoles. Easier said than done. The first ponchos seems to be too short to look real.

0402a.jpg

0402b.jpg

Great vehicles, Lars. I too like the poncho idea.

So this is going to be a 'wet' dio with wet/muddy vehicles :). Looking forward to see how it's going to turn out.

Rene

Great vehicles, Lars. I too like the poncho idea.

So this is going to be a 'wet' dio with wet/muddy vehicles :). Looking forward to see how it's going to turn out.

Rene

Thanks Rene, yes, that's the motto.

That is so cool Lars. Now I'm really looking forward to see how these ponchos come out.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Experiment failed. I absolutely don't like the result of my work. These ponchos simply look unreal. At the moment I don't know if and how to continue, grrrrrrr.

Pon01.jpg

Pon02.jpg

Experiment failed. I absolutely don't like the result of my work. These ponchos simply look unreal. At the moment I don't know if and how to continue, grrrrrrr.

attachicon.gifPon01.jpg

attachicon.gifPon02.jpg

Well I'm sorry that you don't like the way the ponchos came out. Have you tried looking for pics of soldiers with ponchos, to try and get a better idea of how they should look? Just my 2 cents. Please don't give up, I really liked the poncho idea.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 6 months later...

Thank you Manny, sometimes it needs a little time. I took a look at the figures again and I think I will finish this dio in 2019.

Hey Lars;

I was wondering how you were going to finish the ponchos. In the "World..." forum, I used cheesecloth for the camo netting on the Pak 40. It was stiff, but once I wet it down with a watered down white glue mixture it conformed to the contours of the gun. Maybe using material (linen) or thick tissue paper instead of lead foil or aluminum foil and wetting it down it might give you a more natural poncho look; and it will probably conform to the figure. Again; just my 2 cents worth of suggestions. Don't give up the ship.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hey Lars;

I was wondering how you were going to finish the ponchos. In the "World..." forum, I used cheesecloth for the camo netting on the Pak 40. It was stiff, but once I wet it down with a watered down white glue mixture it conformed to the contours of the gun. Maybe using material (linen) or thick tissue paper instead of lead foil or aluminum foil and wetting it down it might give you a more natural poncho look; and it will probably conform to the figure. Again; just my 2 cents worth of suggestions. Don't give up the ship.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Good idea, will test that when I continue with the figures next week, thanks!

RustyCanteen

I think the ponchos came out pretty good; it was a good idea that just needs adjusting to get the results you want. If it makes you feel better, they came out better than anything I could make! I thought they looked pretty good actually.

Love the idea behind it, cannot wait to see the next stages!

You do beautiful work. Some very thin sheets of lead might work.You are on the right track. The Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. and the Memorial to Robert Gould Shaw and the Massachusetts Fifty-Fourth Regiment bronze relief sculpture by Augustus Saint-Gaudens in Boston are my two favorite military memorials.

Dick

Thank you all very much for your kind words; I appreciate it! Finally I used a mix of lead foil and putty to finalize the ponchos. Much more work to do.

09sep01.jpg

Superb craftsmanship. Your panchos look pretty darn good now, IMO. I immediately thought of the Korean War memorial in DC, as Dick mentioned. Look forward to seeing your diorama when completed!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@46IR: Paper Shaper seems not to be available in Germany at the moment. I have contacted VMS in Poland. Is there any similar product you can recommend?

Thanks!

hi Lars

i get it direct from poland via their ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VMS-Paper-Shaper-50-ml-for-scale-models-make-tarps-flags-rags-canvas-and-more/323326076685?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

see if this works for you

this is the only product I've found that works easily

Tom

Thank you Tom! I'll try it this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on track, thanks again to 46IR! The Paper Shaper bottle arrived yesterday. I used standard 50g paper, cut off the ponchos (6,7 x 4,7 cm) and soaked them with paper shaper.

PS1.jpg

After a few minutes the paper was completely soaked.

PS2.jpg

Now I applied the wet paper very carefully to the first figure.

PS3.jpg

Obviously not carefully enough. The paper teared apart where it was folded. I waited some minutes and brushed the two halfs of the poncho on the figure successively.

PS4.jpg