M40 Gun Motor Carriage & M43 Howitzer Motor Carriage

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Lars,

Just came across another reference, especially for the M43 projo racks:

panzerserra.blogspot.de/2017/02/m43-howitzer-motor-carriage-203mm-t89.html

Peter

Peter,

thanks for the link! Seems I have had found this page the same time you did. Looks like the M43 conversion will become a more difficult project!

Lars

• 4 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

I had to pause modeling and this project for several reasons. At least I got my hands on the old AFV-Club M115 Howitzer kit. So I can now build a M 40 and the 203 mm M 43. Here's the kit:

180519 00.jpg

180519 01.jpg

Proud Kraut

Dfinitely NO kit for modeling beginners. It took me two hours even to apply all the cables and chains for the rear gate.

180521_02.jpg

Proud Kraut

Terry, thank you!

I finished the Tamiya M 40 today. I must say this is really a great kit. Details, manual, decals, everything's excellent with one exception. I really missed an aluminium gun barrel. It's a shame that such an excellent kit has still a plastic gun consisting of two split halfs. Here are some pictures before I'll start the AFV-Club variant.

180523_01.jpg

Nice build so far Lars. I think we have all gotten spoiled with the aluminum turned barrels. I remember always hating to see that seam on the gun barrel when the two halves were put together. But an experienced modeler like yourself and I can overcome such things. I can't wait to see how this comes out.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Lars,

There IS an aluminum replacement gun tube, Tamiya item #12670. It's rather expensive, though, but also contains 10 turned brass projectiles. I guess that if it had been included in the kit, that might've influenced sales figures...

Peter

• 2 months later...
Proud Kraut

Unlike my last dios (M31 & M36) this one will take a little bit longer I'm afraid. Holidays, family affairs, house & garden.... But now it's high time to move on. I started with the 8 inch gun of the M43 today.

gun.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks guys!

Great work Lars.Looks like a complex build.

Well done

Indeed, the gun contains of 54 parts; each HVSS has 19 parts, lol.

• 2 months later...

Well, it' s been a while. High time to go on with this project now. After having finished the chassis I'll continue with the ammo racks. These are the main difference between the M 40's and M 43's interior. PzAufkl posted a link to this build report: http://panzerserra.blogspot.com/2017/02/m43-howitzer-motor-carriage-203mm-t89.html with more details and original pictures of a M 43.

Mag0.jpg

Mag1.jpg

As you can see on the following pictures my first attemps are not very successfull. I need more practice...

Mag3.jpg

Have you thought of using a larger drill bit? Try a larger bit using your hand only. Another tool to try is a tapered reamer.

Have you thought of using a larger drill bit? Try a larger bit using your hand only. Another tool to try is a tapered reamer.

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have any of these handy right now. I will definitely get me a set of reamers the next time.

This is what I have so far. For sure no masterpiece but good enough for being not visible at the finished kit finally.

Racks2.jpg

Hey Lars, I wouldn't expect a masterpiece with a WIP photo. That's why it's a WIP. So far so good. You know what you have to do to make it to your liking.

Patience my friend, patience. I myself, I like the preliminary look.

Semper Fi.

Manny