M40 Gun Motor Carriage & M43 Howitzer Motor Carriage

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

It's high time to start a new project before springtime & yard work are in sight... As mentioned I took an interest in Tamiya's new 1/35 scale "U.S SELF-PROPELLED 155mm GUN M40". While the kit was on the way I did some online research. I found less pictures than expected of this vehicle. In WW II only one single piece saw action during the battle of Cologne. Here's some more information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_Gun_Motor_Carriage

I had to pay 65,- Euro (US$ 80) for the kit, rather much money for a Tamiya model. I thought the high price was caused by the additional gun crew of eight. Yesterday the kit arrived. Going through the box I think the kit is well worth it's price. Some first impressions:

M40_1.jpg

M40_2.jpg

M40_3.jpg

The Meatcan

Looking forward to your usual fascinating build reports, Lars. My dad served in an M-43 battalion (the 8" self-propelled howitzer version) so your M-40 will be of great interest.

Terry

Proud Kraut

@Mike: Thank you very much!

@Terry: The 203mm M43 conversion is definitely om my to do list as well!

@Etienne: It was for sure the gun crew that made me choose the Tamiya kit. As far as I know it's not available separately yet.

Hi Lars, looking forward to this build.

Hobby Fan has (or had) a Long Tom gun crew available that perhaps also fits the M40. But to me this Tamiya kit looks alright.

Rene

@Etienne: It was for sure the gun crew that made me choose the Tamiya kit. As far as I know it's not available separately yet.

Good reason indeed !! In addition, the crew figures seem to be very nice, do you confirm ?

E

Hey Lars,

I saw this vehicle being a WIP on a different site. The builder was quite good but it was the figures that he painted very well and put the whole model over the top.

I'm looking forward to your build.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Thanks everybody! I started to build the upper hull of the kit yesterday. Tamiya quality as usual. All parts fit perfectly yet, it seems to be a rather easy to build kit.

Rene, thanks for the hint! I did find indeed two different crews. One with 3 and one with 4 gunners.

Good reason indeed !! In addition, the crew figures seem to be very nice, do you confirm ?

E

Yes, I do confirm, they look well molded.

24_01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

Whats new? Not much progress with the kit for several reasons. Well at least a little progress with the chassis and the hull.

180415M40_0.jpg

BUT, I decided to build the 8 inch/203 mm variant M43 as well. For the conversion I ordered the AFV club kit that was mentioned here before.

180415M40_3.jpg

Proud Kraut

In addition I have found the AFV club 155/203 mm ammo set. Don't know how I missed this one. It was not easy to get over here since the set is not longer available in most modeling stores. Don't know, if AFV has stopped production of this set. If you get your hands on one I would recommend to get a set as long as it is possible.

180415M40_1.jpg

180415M40_2.jpg

Proud Kraut

Unfortunately it was a 1/32 scale "21st CENTURY" howitzer. Can anybody help out here and point me into the right direction where to find the AFV Club M115????

180415M40_12.jpg

Proud Kraut

...last but not least I noticed that my knowledge of English artillery equipment terms got a little bit rusty recently. I got me a couple of cold war Arty manuals to be well prepared for the following project & discussions. :lol:

180415M40_13.jpg

Hi Lars,

Compare your AFV Club parts # C 9, 34, 35 (breech ring and rear gun tube halves) to the corresponding Tamiya offerings and you'll see that AFV has already given you the rear half of the M43's 203 mm tube. They only made this shorter, thicker version and released it with both guns. There are more details regarding this and other shortcomings of this kit in my build report at panzer-modell.de/berichte/m40/m40e.php

So, you will "only" have to find a replacement for the aluminum front part of the tube. Decades ago, Verlinden had a resin conversion set for Italeri's M107; maybe that might help, if you could find it.

Good luck, Peter

Proud Kraut

Hi Peter,

OUTSTANDIG build report, wow! Thanks very much for the hint, I'll check this at the weekend. Maybe the Verlinden conversion set is still available...

Danke & Horrido - Joho!

Lars

Hi Peter,

OUTSTANDIG build report, wow! Thanks very much for the hint, I'll check this at the weekend. Maybe the Verlinden conversion set is still available...

Danke & Horrido - Joho!

Lars

Hey Lars,

Don't wait too long; you know that Verlinden went out of business. I hope you find it and if you do it should be at a very nice price.

Good luck.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Lars,

Just came across another reference, especially for the M43 projo racks:

panzerserra.blogspot.de/2017/02/m43-howitzer-motor-carriage-203mm-t89.html

Peter