$7 display case...With a little bit of labor

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

About a month ago I went to an auction, (interested in a Model A that was in the ad). Anyway, as I was getting my number from the cashier I heard the auctioneer start to sell "jewelers display case" The crowd was too big to get to the case and look at is so I took a chance and held up my number. He said sold for $7. When I got to see the case I was disapointed, the case looked like it had been through a flood. All the wood was trashed, moldy etc. I was going to abandon the case, pay up and cut my losses but while waiting for the car to sell I had an idea.

I drug the nasty old case home and dismantled it. Using a piece of 3/4" birch plywood that I had leftover from a previous project I built this...

The only thing I resued was the glass, hardware and sliding doors, which wern't damaged by water.

I think the plywood had cost me $35 when I bought it and instead of building a smaller base with kick pannel like it had I added casters so I could move it around my room with ease.

I still need to replace the top glass which is broke in one corner and I need to have two tempered shelves made.

post-1672-1227116363.jpg

post-1672-1227116469.jpg

post-1672-1227116487.jpg

Wow, interesting story. The new case looks good though. Nice work. Cant wait to see it all put together with everything inside. Did you at least win the Model A?

I'd say you done good! Add in a little American ingenuity and you've got a great display case with very little invested...good luck on the glass for your shelves.

One thing that might be worth adding is some sort of low-heat generating light fixture...that way it's easier to see whatever you display.

I'd love to get one that cheap!

Stinger Gunner USMC

The one I dismantled had a Fluorescent light under the top but I ditched it b/c of the UV that they put off. I'd like to eventually add LED or something similar that will not emit UV or heat.

As for the Model A, The add said it was a coupe and it turned out to be a 4door sedan, which didn't excite me too much when it got to $7000

nice job! Pretty gutsy just holding up your number like that sight unseen at an auction! w00t.gif But it looks like it paid off; with your extra labors that should be a nifty display case. I like your idea of going LED for the lights too. Neat. Thanks for sharing.