Just bought a beautiful Mackinaw Jacket!

WWIIBuff1945

WWIIBuff1945

My WWII uniform collection is nearly complete now that I found and bought a nice first pattern Mackinaw jacket! Its early dated and fairly large sized (40). All I need now is a nice tankers jacket. Thanks for looking!post-158759-0-48697500-1521628221_thumb.jpgpost-158759-0-60684400-1521628836_thumb.jpgpost-158759-0-42701300-1521629085_thumb.jpgpost-158759-0-62195700-1521629119_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Very nice, years ago I stopped at a salvation army store and found a mint one still had cutter tags on it, but I left my wallet home, by the time I got back it was gone. Still bothers me to this day. Congrats.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

WWIIBuff1945

Thanks for the comments guys! I pleased to own it and will be watching the mail for it to arrive!!

WWIIBuff1945

I don't have it in hand yet but my reference books says first pattern jackets were cotton duck with a blanket lining. Thanks!

The reason I wondered was that the M1938 Mackinaws were all made of heavy canvas at first, but in '41 and '42 they experimented with other fabrics like sateen/denim and poplin, like Kammo-man mentioned, due to the duck material being easily soiled and stiff. I have 4 different variants of the '38s made of different material, but all with the same pattern number: 6-104A (!). I guess you'll find out when you get it!

WWIIBuff1945

Thanks! I received the jacket today and its a beauty for sure. I'm not sure exactly what the material is but it is the same as my Tankers bibs. It has the same material weave. Its slightly different from my 1942 dated M41 field jacket. I happy to add it to my uniform collection.. on to the next acquisition!

Ah, yes...the sateen model. That's the very Coat I wore today, as the weather here is quite cool.

I need to take some detailed shots of the different variations...