.50 cal 20 round magazine WHAT IS IT !?!?

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

A buddy got this magazine and these plastic bullets. NOW we have a mystery.

Offered for your viewing pleasure, a 20 round mag and matching white plastic bullets. The bottom casing is an actual .50 shell.

He thinks it is a mag for a .50 cal weapon. BUT, I don't know of a rifle in the past inventory (other than the Barrett) that was .50 and fed. I think the mag is vintage, just but the feel, light rust and materials. If it is, then it may be very rare.

I think it is a training aid for an oversized rifle, such as a BAR, M-14 or even an M-16. I've seen the big models, with the cut outs, so you can see how the weapon operates.

Let me know what you think

post-9131-0-49781400-1521622620_thumb.jpg

It sure reminds me of a jumbo sized M16 mag...

That's what I would say, over scale training aid M16....like they had for the Garand, Carbine, BAR, etc in WWII....

There was a recoiless rifle that used a semi auto spotter round. The round was not the usual .50 BMG round but a special round. Memory fails me. I retired in 75.

The .50 cal spotter rounds are short little guys, way shorter than standard .50 cal ammo, so it wouldn't be for that...

The white plastic "rounds" also look like oversized 5.56 rounds, not full size .50 cals...shoulder seems lower than the .50 case, and OAL seems almost the same as the .50 cal case....

Yes, definitely too short for the "60-'06" training rounds for the double-sized M1919s and the BAR, and definitely too long for the Cal 50 spotter which has a case length of 76mm, and the US M8 spotter for the 106mm Recoilless only comes with a 10 round magazine. While I've never seen one in person, the OP's mag certainly seems to fit a double-size M16.