WWI USMC 5th Brigade MG Tunic

b_hinch

My first WWI USMC tunic thanks to fellow Forum member Warguy. We've been friends for several years now and done many deals, traded and gifted. We met here on the forum, once in person, and continue to correspond on a regular basis. Thanks a bunch Kevin. Love this uniform and photo and am proud to display it in my "space".

post-8602-0-58804600-1521608811_thumb.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

Just out of curiosity , what does something like this go for? I saw a Dress Blues with the same Patch today , all legit , for $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity , what does something like this go for? I saw a Dress Blues with the same Patch today , all legit , for $500

I would love to see photos of what you saw. There are a whole lot of variables to determine value. Are you speaking of the unit patch? Was it a violet or white "V"? Did it include the PFC insignia or overseas stripes? What type of collar insignia or EGAs? Named with unit research? The dress blues tunic you mention and this service tunic are really apples and oranges. I have no issues in telling you what I paid by PM, but if you're curious about the value on those blues, much more info is needed.

BigDogMilitaria

I would love to see photos of what you saw. There are a whole lot of variables to determine value. Are you speaking of the unit patch? Was it a violet or white "V"? Did it include the PFC insignia or overseas stripes? What type of collar insignia or EGAs? Named with unit research? The dress blues tunic you mention and this service tunic are really apples and oranges. I have no issues in telling you what I paid by PM, but if you're curious about the value on those blues, much more info is needed.

I'll see if I can get more info and pm you. It was something I sorta half looked at and should have taken a closer exam of but didn't

• 2 weeks later...
BigDogMilitaria

Posted Image

c0395b7708d0d6a15ecacd65c1a4756c.jpg

A couple pics of the uniform and patch I mentioned

Hey AirCorps. Thanks for the pics. Hopefully some others will chime in on this. The patch and ribbons look good, but I wonder if they were attached to a later coat for the veteran. The wound stripes don't look right, and the coat appears to be post WWII. Does it have pockets? THE EGAs are definitely the modern style, but those are easily swapped out. I'm not intentionally trying to cr@p on it, but the shoulder patch looks very faded compared to the vibrant colors of the chevrons (which also look more recent).

I agree with Bryan's statements. Some Marines after their return from WWI adorned their dress blues with the unit patch they wore in WWI. I believe this was unofficial but probably permitted especially for battle hardened vets or those out of the Corps wearing them for reunion events, etc. All of these I have seen have been Fourth Brigade patches and all I have seen that I feel are original are on WWI or very early uniforms. There is at least one photo I know of providing evidence that this continued into the late twenties or early 30's and I have a dress uniform in my collection direct from the family with a fifth Marine HQ patch on it dating from the late twenties as well. That uniform itself is dated 1917-1918, but incorporates the change from seam to seam rank stripes to the smaller ones (silk manufacture in this case) made in the twenties. That Marine left the Corps shortly after his WWI service and I believe he wore the uniform to reunions, Marine Corps functions, etc. He re-entered the AAC in WWII. The overseas stripes on the uniform depicted in posts 19 and 20 are completely wrong. The rank stripes and service stripes are of the type and construction introduced in the WWII period (cotton embroidered) and not the silk type used before then. Taken as a whole, I believe this is a put together piece. It does appear the WWI 5th brigade patch is likely real, although as Bryan said much more faded than the rest of the uniforms components. Having said that, the patch alone is probably worth $175-$200 in that condition. Kevin

BigDogMilitaria

Hey AirCorps. Thanks for the pics. Hopefully some others will chime in on this. The patch and ribbons look good, but I wonder if they were attached to a later coat for the veteran. The wound stripes don't look right, and the coat appears to be post WWII. Does it have pockets? THE EGAs are definitely the modern style, but those are easily swapped out.  I'm not intentionally trying to cr@p on it, but the shoulder patch looks very faded compared to the vibrant colors of the chevrons (which also look more recent).

No worries , I didn’t buy it , I just want to educate myself for the future . I knew the Egas were wrong , the seller told me they threw them on there.

No pockets.